Which backup system to use?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hansmax

I just bought and installed an 80 GB Seagate external hard drive that will be used for back-up of her important data by our church secretary. Does anyone have an opinion on whether we would be better off to rely on the BounceBack software included with the drive to make regular, periodic backups, or would we be better off with the bundled Windows XP Pro Backup Utility? I haven't used either, and have no idea as to how they compare. Any input would be appreciated.

Not familiar at all with BounceBack. If you want a scheduled, complete system backup that can restore your entire hard drive in the event of failure, you may want to look at an automated drive imaging solution such as Acronis True Image.

But if all you want to do is to schedule backups of particular files, folders, and documents, then this simple, free backup scheduler has always been very reliable for me:

Replicator

If Karen's Replicator saves files in Zip format, it looks pretty good.

Personally, I use Cobian too because it saves in Zip format and is very flexible and has many options. One I like is sending my backups to 3 destinations at the same time.

I just installed and ran Replicator and all it does is copy files with no compression.

I prefer Cobian because the files are considerably smaller in the Zip format. Cobian is also freeware and is being updated every few days in the latest version.

Ive just started using Second Copy 2000 (not freeware) its pretty good and easy to use and runs automatically in the background backing up selected folders or files.
Been searching for a good one for some time now and this is it.
Can write ZIP files and skips files not changed.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
That's two moderators, I use Acronis True Image and swear by it. :D

hansmax

I'm overwhelmed by the response. Thanks everyone for your input. I installed BounceBack, but was put off by it. It didn't seem to offer much but a full disk backup, which we don't need. (This is just a bundled version, remember.) I started going through the motions with WinXP Pro Backup, but a couple of things just weren't right. I'm going with Cobian for the time being, mainly because I happened to have it and I use it at home, generally with satisfaction. I've been to Karen's site, but had not seen Replicator. I will look into that, too. It looks interesting. As far as Acronis goes, it would be great, but we're on a church budget here, so anything free gets the first nod. Thanks again for all the input, elvandil, JohnWill, tgal, dmullen, 4plus2, and smbd.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Maybe you need to pass the collection plate twice for one service. :D

hansmax

If only it were that simple. Actually, we've already spent $3200 on computer items this year, so we're wearing out our welcome. Plus, add in that the technical decisions are made by a committee of six or so people who often don't agree on what's best for anything. We'd still be talking about it at this time next year. I'll pass the suggestion on, though. We're always up for humor.

You could make the point that doing it right the first time is cheaper than doing it all over, especially if you were to lose all the data on your machine. One lightning strike nearby could do it.

A good backup of your entire system, especially on DVD or a removable drive not always attached to the main machine and stored in a different location, will insure that even fire and flood of the main machine would allow you to restore everything as it was.

Those of us who have had such disasters occur and were able using Acronis to restore everything to a new machine, just as it was, in 20 minutes, won't be caught without it.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It would be a major disaster if I were to lose everything on my systems here, that's why I have a multi-level backup scheme to make sure that never happens.

There are only two kinds of people that have computers, those that have lost data, and those that are going to.

You've spend $3200 on a system, and you can't spend $35 on a backup program to protect it? :confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online