1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which Best Anti-Malware,Virus,Spyware?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Ruller, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ruller

Ruller Thread Starter

What is A-Squadred & Windows Defender.Are they Anti-Virus Programs.
    Which Best Anti-Malware,Anti-Spyware.
    Is there any other Infectives other Virus,Malware,Spyware......

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Windows Defender isn't and never was an antivirus, it is antispyware. The free Microsoft Antivirus is called MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and is getting very good reviews. It includes all the capacity of Defender and more, as well as being very simple to use and light on your system.

A-squared used to be quite a good free antimalware program but has now been taken off development. You could purchase the replacement Emsisoft antimalware if you wanted.

Other good free AV programs include Avast and Avira. You can get commercial ones which may or may not be better than their free counterparts. For antispyware and antimalware look into SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes as free solutions, or do a bit of looking around for paid ones.

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

You could also visit av-comparatives.org to look up the comparatives/reviews links for reports side-by-side of all of the AVs listed. Some are rated as Advanced+ and others only Advanced or otherwise.

-- Tom

4. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    They also give sub-ratings for different categories. So for example if your computer were particularly slow you might want to go for one that does well in being light on system resources even if it isn't the overall winner.

Another interesting thing about the question "what is the best AV" is that the answer changes with time.
    If you look at the results Av-Comparatives give you'll see that the winner doesn't win for long. Be aware of that and don't assume that what was good now will still be in 10 years time.

5. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

And if you go for best rather than simply good, you can assume that the time until it loses that title will be measured in months rather than years. Unless you want to fight a constant battle to 'stay at the top' then choose one that is routinely good rather than 'the best'.

6. peterjhn

peterjhn Banned

Window defender is an antispyware because it protect the system from spywares which attack via internet.There are other antivirus software which are very effective and have the features if internet security so its better to use that.

7. jhonas

jhonas Banned

A-Squadred & Windows Defender is a antivirus program. These are used to remove Trojans and malware from pc. But antispyware softwares are use to remove spyware and adware from pc. Spyware Remover is the best anti spyware software to protect pc from spywares adwares and Trojans.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

A-square(d) and Windows Defender are considered in general as Anti-Spyware scanners, not as AV-scanners. Of course nowadays there is no clear distinction anymore between AV-scanners and AS-scanners, both remove virusses, spyware and all kinds of other malware, but AV-scanners and AS-scanners have still their main job : AV or AS. That's why the minimum security suite is still : Firewall + AV-scanner + AS-scanner.

How do you know that "Spyware Remover" is the best AS-scanner ? Did you compare the blacklist/heuristics of Spyware Remover with all other existing AS-scanners or is it just the nth opinion without scientific proof ?
    As far as I know, there are no serious AS-tests like AV-comparatives and even these AV-tests are discussable.

9. WW2

WW2

With MSE Windows Defender will be disabled. I currently use Win Def and feel comfortable with it.
    AVG will stop updating 8.5 next month. I don't know that I want 9.0 or their new 2011, I've been getting False Positives which are always worrisome. I do trust MBAM and Spybot, in that order.
    My question is since, as mentioned above, Win Def is only for spyware, doesn't that include Trojans?
    Would MSE, which some have reported problems with, or Avast or something else be better?
    I use DIAL-UP, yes pity the writer, and what I use has to be free.
    Would I be SAFER enough with the MSE or would it be better to continue with Defender and add a different AV? Since one day Avast is best, and another Avira is best then the next version they are NOT great, very confusing. Any insights would be APPRECIATED.

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

The weakest link in security is the user himself, who doesn't practice "safe hex". The rules of "safe hex" aren't attractive, irritating and boring, they spoil the fun on internet. People don't like rules, they don't like discipline, they are too curious and greedy, so they ignore the rules and that's why forums are full of malware-victims and other problems.

The internet is full of websites about "safe hex", don't read one, read many of them and follow their advices, if they make sense to you, most of them are free. When you practice "safe hex", the classical security setup "Firewall + AV-scanner + AS-scanner(s)" will be enough and of course you can expand your security with other kinds of security software, if you don't have much faith in the classical security setup.

Don't forget a reliable backup-system and use it in a preventive way, it can save you alot of time, more time than a backup requires. Keep in mind that anything NEW on your system is a possible threat to your computer due to malware, bugs, incompatibility, etc., so take your precautions. That's the very first thing I did on my computer, having a reliable backup system. Separating system and data is a good start.

11. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    In terms of Defender you will lose nothing by switching to MSE. MSE is both Antivirus and Antispyware, uses the same definitions and more as Defender. In essence it is Defender with a whole antivirus built on top of that.

However the problem with any modern AV software is that they need their updates, and in the case of MSE it requires quite a large initial update before it'll do anything. If you are on dial-up it will be very hard to keep the software up to date. I'd be half inclined to suggest you go for Avira and leave yourself the option of downloading the offline update packages from a better internet connection once it a while. I don't think that's possible for MSE.

12. WW2

WW2

Have been able to do the Windows Defender updates OK they are pretty small, so if MSE updates are considerably larger then that would be VERY problematic.

I realize MBAM, in free version, is not real time protection but does it function as an AV as well as an anti-spyware? I know Spybot is NOT AV.

Just a point & click guy so not much I can add to discussion other than ask some questions.
    Thanks for addressing them and thanks to the fellow who spoke of backing up the computer but that is above the level of competence for the time being at least.

13. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I don't know about how much larger the updates would be. It's just that initial update which takes time, because the MSE installer doesn't package in the definitions (which is why it's so small). There isn't really any AV that is built to cope with dial-up these days. MSE is probably as good as any.

14. never2

never2

I have had AVG, MSoftESSENTIALS SUPERANTISPYWARE, AVAST & NORTON, Subscribed & free & have to add that even frreware found threats that paid for AVG never! M`soft truly was useless having taken so long to scan then never once finding anythinh., Avast seems ok but like M`Soft it updates too frequently & takes a long time. Norton is more hinder than help. I suggest running some freeware to clear most threats then asking about kaspersky, AVG or whatever but Forget M`soft if I were you, Hope this may help.

15. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    A very interesting review, never2. I wouldn't agree because (a) no AV can diagnose all bugs, the ones that found the threats you talk about would have missed others which other AVs would have found and (b) you haven't actually demonstrated that there were threats to find. A program that finds infections that don't exist is the worst you can possibly have!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/962558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice