1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which BIOS download do I need

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noahbody, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. noahbody

noahbody Thread Starter

I'm trying to update BIOS.
    SPECS:
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7400 @2.80ghz, 2266 mhz, 2 cores 2 log...
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F6, Jan-13-2009

You're probably wondering why I don't just go to Award Software or Gigabyte and download the link. I've tried that. There is no site for Award Software International, and Gigabyte Technology does have a site, with BIOS downloads, but I don't know which one I need. I can't get help from Gigabyte because they want you to register and login, but there's something wrong with their site so I can't do that. I tried registering for their Gigabyte Passport and I tried logging in through facebook, but it won't let me do either. There is a site called biosagentplus which allegedly has BIOS updates but all the reviews indicate it's a scam.

Gigabyte Technology has a list of BIOS downloads. None of them say they are for the E7400. Or maybe one of them is saying it's for the E7400, but they're saying it in some code I don't know about. Does anybody know which BIOS download is the one I need? Here's the link to the page:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/Utility.aspx

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You advised your computer has a Gigabyte brand motherboard, but you didn't advise what model number and revision number it is, or provide a link to it.

Why are you wanting to update the BIOS?

--------------------------------------------------------

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Why are you trying to do this - do you have a problem that a bios upgrade will fix (suspect not , if you are not sure what bios to use)

just remember if anything goes wrong during the bios update , then you will not have a computer and the motherboard may need to be replaced, and as the windows is tied to a motherboard and new windows install will be required

Not a thing to enter lightly

4. noahbody

noahbody Thread Starter

It says System Type: EP45-UD3R

I keep getting an error message like this: "Display Driver nvlddm has stopped working and recovered". The screen goes black and I usually can't try and fix the problem because when I click on something, it goes black again. Even after rebooting the problem remains. I've already uninstalled and reinstalled the display driver, several times. I also tried other troubleshooting methods and talked to NVIDIA tech support, who told me to uninstall it and reinstall it again. None of that solves the problem. NVIDIA tech support told me to try updating the BIOS next.

I know it's dangerous. I'd rather not have to attempt this, but I don't know what else to do about the display error.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  6. noahbody

noahbody Thread Starter

Then if I'm not supposed to update the BIOS, and since the video card manufacturer doesn't have any useful advice, what should I do about the recurring Nvlddmkm Error? I already tried troubleshooting, here: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-the-Nvlddmkm-Error/ including uninstalling/reinstalling the driver.

Edit: I just went to the link. The date on the updated BIOS is the same date as the BIOS version I already have.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It doesn't appear that your motherboard has integrated video. At least there are video drivers listed. If you have a discrete video card what make and model is it?

Going to third party sites for drivers and bios updates is not the way to go. You often end up with out dated or incorrect files.

8. noahbody

noahbody Thread Starter

The video card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260. I already had a live chat with NVIDIA. It didn't help. After his suggestion to do what I had already done, replace the drivers, didn't work, his next suggestion was to update the BIOS. Apparently that isn't the solution either, so I don't know what to do.

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What OS are you using?

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Also please the specs on your power supply as well, Make, model, wattage, amperage on the +12vdc rail..

11. noahbody

noahbody Thread Starter

Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Model EA-500D
    500 Watts max
    +12V1 + 12V2 = max load 408W

12. noahbody

noahbody Thread Starter

DC output +12V1 max 22A
    DC Output +12V1 min 1A
    DC Output +12V2 max 22A
    DC Output +12V2 min 1A
    DC Output -12V max 0.8A
    DC Output -12V min 0A

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard

Version F12 is the most current BIOS update for it.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 graphics driver (version 341.44) for Windows Vista 32-bit

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 graphics driver (version 341.44) for Windows Vista 64-bit

-------------------------------------------------------------

14. noahbody

noahbody Thread Starter

So should I install the F12 update? Is that going to solve the problem? Or is there another solution? It's just that you guys are making me nervous about messing around with the BIOS.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Updating the BIOS is not going to resolve your NVIDIA graphics card issue.

If you read the list of BIOS updates, it tells you what each update addresses and fixes.

I was just making you aware of what the most current BIOS update version is.

-----------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice