1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

which breed of linux

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by mowersman, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mowersman

mowersman Thread Starter

hi i have just built a new rig but cant afford an os like xp
    what is the most xp'ish version of Linux as i am 13 and not used Linux before
    also i havn't got a cd rw drive

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

If you don't mind waiting for 6 weeks or so Ubuntu will ship you an installation cd free of charge. I don't have the web address but you can go to the Ubuntu home page and probably find it. I asked for 10 one time and they sent me 20 - didn't cost me a cent.
    If you have a couple of bucks you can spend you can find most distros here: http://distrowatch.com/ for a $1.95

3. vtel57

vtel57

In my opinion, the most "Window-ish" distributions of Linux are probably Ubuntu, PCLos, or OpenSuSE.

Good luck with it! :)

4. dick471

dick471

You can download Ububtu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon" from their web site as an .iso. Then create a "Disk Image" which is bootable. This will first run as a live cd, but an icon on the desktop will allow full installation on your hard drive with many updates available. Cost= Zero. You have to have someone make the CD for you since you don't have a cd-r.

5. killmelastnight

killmelastnight

you should read up on booting from USB so you can run a live distro and install as prompted.
    One question? why did you build a computer and not put atleast a cd+r drive in it
    probably the same price as a useless read only drive.

6. RobLinux

RobLinux

Take a look at Sidux (sidux.com) they actually explain how to boot off live images to. You can actually bootstrap Debian off a floppy drive, though it's not recommended as it's fiddly keeping track of disks and floppies are unreliable.

If you have built a box out of new components, you'll need the bleeding edge latest stuff, for it's hardware support, but if you have scavenged bits off old PCs, then to get started an old distro might even work better, than recent releases. The likes of me, have several copies of meaty distro's that I'd happily give away to a system builder, they include decent manuals to help get someone started.

If your Internet access is infrequent, then Debian's history supporting modem users, means that downloads to CD's which you then copy to disk yourself, or use as is on CDROM are well supported.

Initially without net, you should try to get hold of a big DVD release, multi-CD-ROM distro so there's lots of stuff to play with, until you get that Internet connection.

Some of the Linux Lite distro's (like Puppy), may be Sidux & Debian, can boot off USB memory sticks, which are available cheaply and have decent capacity (say 1-2 GB) so check out the manuals carefully. You might be able to run HW tests and run an OS of sorts with surprisingly little storage. This will allow you to snarf stuff off the net, by hijacking someone elses 'doze PC, booting it into Linux, to download material carrying your 'own' PC environment around with you (1 CD + USB drive).

You are young, so it will not take you long to get used to different system, and you'ld find doing 'apt-get install <package>' rather simple (besides Synaptic GUI software manager), and you won't be hammered by nagware & spyware that is rife in 'doze. The main drawback will be need to run games under Wine, though that will make you seem cool and hardcore to others... ;)

Spend some time reading, download Sidux and Ubuntu onto your disk on a working PC (parents?), presuming you have broadband, then take the disk out of machine, and temporarily install it into a friends machine with a CD burner.

Try and burn at slower speed (for reliability) and verify both the downoad, and the burn to save time later chasing 'ghost' install problems caused by bad media. CD-RW/DVD writers are getting very cheap now, if you can save up a few $, you'll soon get going.

If you have a CDROM/DVD reader then computer mags, often distribute Live CD's which you can boot up, and either install, or use to install a different distro onto disk (see Gentoo Alternative Install and Debian Install guide for full details).

Finally see if there's a LUG (Linux User Group) in your area, explain you have built a PC yourself, and DO NOT WANT TO RUN WINDOWS, ask them what they are using, and whether someone can lend you CD media or some such to get you started. You'll probably find some very eager and supportive linuxer's, just dont' tell them, that you want something like XP!

7. mowersman

mowersman Thread Starter

sorry about not replying but im back at school and i cant post so often
    the reson i havent got a cd rw drive is that my new rig wont work yet when it does i will have a cd rw drive
    thanks for all your help ive now got a copy of ubuntu and will install it soon
    thanks again

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice