which chip set

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Crylynx

Hi everyone

I have decided to build a new pc and have a question for all of you. I am going to go with one of these two choices and was wondering which chipset you would recomend. The SIS645 chipset or the VIA P4X400 I will be running a P4 2.53 with 533mhz front side bus, 512mb of pc2700 memory, geforce4Ti4200, and a maxtor 60gb with Ultra ATA133. The two boards I am choosing from are the Soyo "SY-P4S Dragon Ultra" or the "SY-P4X400 Dragon Ultra Platinum Edition". I can get a better deal on the "SY-P4S" and it handles what I want to install, But was concerned in the chipsets mainly. Which would you recomend?

Thanks and hope to see your replies

Crylynx

If there is the choice in between SIS and VIA, so I wouldn't think to much about that and take the VIA (too many problems with SIS so far).

i think the VIA chipset would be a better choice as well.

i don't know of any specific problems with the SiS645, but i have seen a few articles on the web about how the chip has a tendency to be "incompatible" with some hardware.

what i mean by "incompatible" is that the hardware works, but with a lot of problems.

just my two cents. :)

roosterman

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Of course, the VIA chipsets have had PCI bus latency issues for some time, and it screws up the sound when your IDE drives are being heavily used. :rolleyes: I went for an Intel chipset in my newest computer, got tired of the crackling sound in my music! :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online