1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which Component is causing the problem??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aussiejan, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aussiejan

aussiejan Thread Starter

Hi. Got a little problem with computer turning on but not POSTing recently got a new vid card but not sure if that was it or not.
    Anyway my brothers rig was like this
    msi ms6712 mobo
    xp2200 cpu
    512 stick generic DDR ram
    msi a170 mx460 64 meg ram ddr x4agp
    seagate 7200rpm 80 gig drive
    1x cdrom 1 x cd/rw
    codegen 450watt(235 watt conbined at the 3.3 and 5 volt rails) or 3.3v 20a 5volt 40a 12volt 16amp
    *he is 2000Km away and not home right now so that is all I know bout PSU
    Windows XP Professional running on it

Everything was ok but he is a gamer so wanted to pump up the grafix so he installed a
    gigacube rageon 9800 non pro video card
    This went ok but he had a few minor complaints so last week he switched it from 1.6 volts to auto... not a good move
    Since then XP refuses to boot and he cant even get to a POST altho it does power up
    He tried using the xp discs and 98 disks to reinstall but couldnt get anyhing going.
    He took the grafix card out and tested it in other machines.. no dramas. he put his old grafix card in still nothing.
    Anyway after much stuffing around he finally got to a prompt and formatted drive. He loaded xp up everything was ok.. set the grafix to 1.6 hmm sofar ok.. updated his xp ok.. updated drivers.. s**t itself again.
    same thing wont boot.
    Yesterday he went and bought
    asus a7n8x and
    512 legend ram
    still no joy.. no boot no display
    His monitor will work on other rigs.. just not his. He cant even get to BIOS so he is a little peeved.
    We dont know if its the grafix card doesnt like the other components he has or if maybe it is his cpu or wot.. but he has checked heatsink and goo and everything and all is AOK.
    Any hints or ideas would be greatly appreciated.. thanx

2. dai

dai

are getting any beeps when you turn it on

3. aussiejan

aussiejan Thread Starter

no no beeps.. just fans and board lights. Altho he doesnt have any onboard sound and he is unsure if his speaker wires sitting on the sound jumpers are doing the job.. we assume no beeps tho.

btw thanku.. i been waiting hours for a response :):) Then when I saw it iinet had a tizzy over here and TSG had their daily back-up. aaaaaaaaaarrrrgh .
    S'Ok.. im over my moment :)

4. dai

dai

no beeps generally indicate m/b or p/s can you put another p/s in to test it.
    check the power plug at the m/b for any sign of burning i.e a blackend terminal.
    set it up outside of the case with the ram the video and h/d and speaker to make sure the m/b is not shorting on the backing plate
    if not getting anywhere reset the bios
    and check the speaker wires are on the right pins

5. aussiejan

aussiejan Thread Starter

he put a new cpu in and it seems to working fine at the moment.. Thanku very much 4 your help.. sheesh wot dramas :)
    lol

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!