1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which computers get the speed patches?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Anthony2816, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anthony2816

Anthony2816 Thread Starter

Greetings!

I have 5 WinXP computers on a home LAN; one has a DSL connection that it shares with the others using Window's Internet Connection Sharing.

I'd like to try applying the patches from www.speedguide.net that presumably increase my internet connect speed, but I can't find one piece of info that I need: Should they be applied just to the computer that has the DSL connection, or to all the computers?

2. Del

Del

Have you thought of going with a router?

3. Anthony2816

Seemed an unnecessary purchase, since I had an old Celeron machine lying around. Now it acts as a router, serves two printers, acts as a file server for my FTP site, and handles fax and telephone answering machine duties.

4. Anthony2816

But going back to my original question: I'd like to try applying the patches from www.speedguide.net that presumably increase my internet connect speed, but I can't find one piece of info that I need: Should they be applied just to the computer that has the DSL connection, or to all the computers?

5. Del

Del

I have DSL also. With Win 98, the patch at Speedguide.net made a big difference.
    Using WinME, Win 2000 Pro and Win XP Pro, never needed a patch. I tried it with ME but only made about 20kbps difference.
    The later O/S's seem more attuned to High Speed connections.
    If your going to do a patch, the host machine would be the first one to do. Most of the patches have an undo if I'm not mistaken. You can try and if it doesn't help, undo the patch.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice