Which cooler for OC ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

filerz

Hey
I'm planning on over clocking my E8400 as I feel it is bottlenecking my system at the minute, I've had it for a while and I'm beginning to see it slowing. So for the time being I'm planning to over clock it to tie me over till I can afford a Sandy bridge model/MB/DDR3.
I'm looking for a 3.8GHZ - 4GHZ over clock really, however if I have poor chip 3.6 will do lol.
I need some advice on what cooler to buy, I've been having a look around and the 2 which stand out for value as well as OK performance is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus, and the Arctic cooler 7 pro rev 2. They are both fairly cheap which is what i wanted :p
Of course different sites say different things, I have read a lot of good things about both, but recently read a review from toms hardware and the Hyper 212 was apparently brilliant for its price and still good for enthusiasts while the AC 7pro lacked behind for bigger over clocks.
I wanted to know your opinions and gather your advice :)
Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks

dustyjay

Jay
Please post your system specs, To include Make and model System if Big Box, or same info for the following if custom or home built, Mother Board (including Revision number), Processor (Exact Model Number), Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard.

filerz

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm slightly busy at the moment. what is your opinion on the coolers though? would really like some peoples honest opinions with more knowledge than me.

dustyjay

Jay
The reason I asked about your system specs, is because if this is a big box system, like a Dell, HP/Compaq, you will not be able to overclock anyway.

Personally, I am not impressed by Coolermaster products. This one would be more to my liking if I suddenly decided to risk my components by overclocking (Not going to happen) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106150

I suggest you read the article here about heat pipe type coolers.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/heatpipe-cpu-cooler-roundup-review/

There are considerable differences between different models. Some have what I call an exposed tube array where the heat pipes run straight across the base that mates with the processor heatspreader. Other have what I call a hidden tube array which is the heat pipe tubes are behind a copper plate that mates with the processor heatspreader.

On page 4 of this article you will see what I refer to as a hidden tube array. On page 5 of this article you will see a picture of what I refer to as exposed tube array.

If you are using a heat pipe cooler with an exposed tube array before you install it you should take a straight edge and make sure the base is perfectly flat. If the base is not perfectly flat reject the cooler since when you apply thermal compound and mate the base to the processor heatspreader you will get "air gaps" which will cause the processor to run hot. There cannot be proper heat transfer through air.

On a closed tube array it is still a good idea to take a straightedge and check for flatness. On a closed tube array if the base is not flat and only out of tolerance a very small bit, it could be sanded until it is fair (flat). An open tube array should not be sanded at all since you take the chance of penetrating a heat pipe and ruining the cooler.

On page 2 of this report in paragraph 5 it explains that on the better models of heat pipe coolers the tubes are pressurized with a coolant. Cheaper heat pipe coolers generally do not use a coolant, therefore in theory they should not cool as well as the coolers with coolant internal in the pipes. Since I have not personally tested heat pipe coolers with and without coolant I can't tell you how much difference there would actually be.

filerz

Ah i see, my pc is custom built :)
I will defiantly have a look at that article tomorrow, my budget on a cooler is 40 pound max really, seeing as I've just left college and i get £40 back from what I payed in entering the college.
I kind of get the jist of what your saying, kinda lol.
I should, when purchasing the cooler see if there is any air gaps on installation as this will greatly increase the heat?
How would I find this out beforehand though, just by looking at reviews etc?
Ill have a look at that article to get a better understanding, by theres 2 types of systems on a cooler? exposed and hidden?

crjdriver

FWIW I have an older [ver 1] of the arctic freezer pro. It keeps my overclocked amd 965 running in the low 30s under light load and 55C or so when running prime95. Overclocked to 3.9gig.

Remember you are never guaranteed an overclock. Every system is different and even systems with the same mb, cpu, pw supply, etc can have different stable overclocks.

In addition, do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace. There is NO safe overclock; that is why it voids any warranty.

When you look at the aricle you will see what I mean when I refer to closed and open heat pipe tube array.

filerz

I just read the article, its a good one aswell, liked the comparions and the mass of information they give you. I know what you mean about the coolant which passes through the pipes, however im still not sure on on the different types closed and open.
I am going to look up the OCZ Vendetta though see what prices are going for now :)

filerz

Actually i hadnt read your comment properly and got it muddle up, i understand now what you mean, page 4 is when the heat passes through the copper and then onto the pipes, page 5 its just the base of the pipes conducting the heat straight from the processor :) How would this decide on what i get? Is one better than the other along with the coolant passing through? By the sounds of it, the hidden tube arrays are more reliable, and if buying a exposed tube array i should be looking for a brand of quality and not a cheap knock off?

First of all "open tube array" and "closed tube array" are MY definitions for heat pipe coolers quite simply because I couldn't figure out another name to call them that would separate the two different types of construction.

Heat pipe coolers are called heat pipe coolers no matter what the construction which I find confusing since the construction is different. As I stated I haven't personally done any thermal validation with one type versus another.

I do know that there have been some problems with "open tube array" type coolers where the mating surface of the cooler wasn't fair (flat) and created air gaps when thermal compound was applied and the surface was mated to the processor heatspreader. I was trying to tell you if you purchased this type cooler to take a straightedge and check the bottom to make sure it was absolutely flat. The "closed tube array" type should be flat since the tubes are not exposed and are not directly contacting the processor heatspreader.

The website I linked to just happened to be the first website I came to that had pictures of both types and had done testing. Through a Google search I feel sure that you could find another website where more extensive testing of various brands may have been performed. Looking at various tests may give you a better idea of exactly which cooler may best fit your need.

filerz

Ye I will have defiantly have a look around. Is there anyone else who has had personal experiences with coolers or any to recommend?
Also is there any websites you can recommend, the only one I've ever used is overclockers.co.uk and there range of CPU coolers seems to be limited.

crjdriver

Ye I will have defiantly have a look around. Is there anyone else who has had personal experiences with coolers or any to recommend?
Also is there any websites you can recommend, the only one I've ever used is overclockers.co.uk and there range of CPU coolers seems to be limited.
If you check post #7, I already gave you a recommendation.

filerz

Ye thanks for that, i was just asking in general to anyone else who happens to have a browse at the post :p
Im stuck for choice.

crjdriver

BTW the arctic freezer pro is a flat or closed type not where the heat pipes directly contact the cpu heat spreader. [At least in ver 1]

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online