1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which CPU chip should I buy or doesn't it really matter anyway?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tom Seeley, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

I'm feeling like buying myself a present: a new desktop puter.

The config I use now is shown below my message. I only do Word, Excel, email, basic printing, and general web surfing. I don't game; I don't download music or movies; I don't even WATCH movies on the desktop unit; I don't edit pictures; I don't ever intend to connect the desktop unit to the TV; I don't (at the moment) intend to install a wireless LAN in the home (an Ethernet connection to my modem is all I need); I don't even NEED sound! So I'm pretty vanilla in what I need and what I do with it.

I'm leaning toward an HPE Pavilion Elite 410 unit that I could get off the shelf at Staples with an AMD Phenom II 1045T six-core cpu, or from HP online for exactly the same price but with an Intel i5-760 quad-core (w 2 GHz, 1MB L2, and 8MB shared cache) whatever all that means! Should I strongly prefer one of these or doesn't it really matter?

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Those are both pretty much overkill for what you do.
    A decent dual core system would probably be more than you need.
    Might check through some of these on sale and see if you can
    save your self some money.
    http://www.dealighted.com/?search=desktop&sa.x=70&sa.y=26
    Make sure it comes with a monitor.
    There is a single core emachines that would probably do what you want,
    but I don't think it comes with a monitor.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/966874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice