1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which CPU/motherboard should I use?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dko, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dko

Dko Thread Starter

I can say I know quite a bit about computers.(So you don't have to talk in non techie talk. :p) But one of the problems ive had is comparing two brands of CPU's. Especialy now adays that a processor labled for example 1.8ghz can out run some that are labled 2.5 ghz(just an off the head figure thats probibly not correct but you get my point). So I can't right tell which of these two proccesors I should pick from. The first which im running with right now is a AMD's Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83 ghz. (I can switch out for a 3000 chip later on). While the other is a Intel Celeron D Processor 325 2.53 GHz.
    The Intel one would seam the faster do to its Ghz speed. But that might not be the case. This is because right now my computer is a bit too slow to run the one program ive been unable to play. Oblivion and hopefully I can use the Intel chip to help boost it to a decent running speed. Ill probibly have to upgrade my video card as its not the best. But its also good to get as fast a cpu as possible(thought its not required like mem and such but this will be a free upgrade)

So could someone help me figure out which would be faster for this purpose?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You rate AMD processors by their model number. The model number, say 2500, means it runs as good as a Pentium 4 running at 2500 MHz. The Celeron is Intel's budget line, comparable to AMD's Sempron line. A 2.5 GHz Celeron is slower then a Pentium 4 running at 2.5 Ghz, thats because within the same generation of processors it has less L2 cache, a slower FSB, and doesn't support HyperThreading.

Socket A is no longer in production, neither is socket 478. All the hardware you see is just old stock. AMD is now on the third socket since Socket A, Socket AM2, and Intel is now using Socket T(775).

Since Intel and AMD processors use different sockets, and a whole lot more, there is no chance of going from AMD to Intel, or vice versa, without getting a new motherboard.

The faster Socket A is Athlon XP 3200+ on the 400Mhz FSB, if you board can run the 400MHz FSB and if you have 400 Mhz memory.

To move to a newest platform you'd need new memory, new processor, new motherboard, a new video card, and a new power supply. Thats how many chances have occured since Socket A.

For Oblivion you may need more then just a CPU upgrade, possibly more memory, and a better video card.

3. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

There's a virtually inexhaustable resource for this kind of thing bouncing around the Internet.
    Sites like Tom's Hardware and Anandtech are great places to start for real-world comparisons.

4. apcviewer

apcviewer

5. Dko

Dko Thread Starter

the motherboard will not be a problem. I just want to understand wich chip would be faster. Im guessing there comparable if what was said is true and if so its probibly my crappy video card that needs upgrading.

6. brite750

brite750

what kind of memory are you running PC3200/400 or PC2700 or what? Do you have an AGP slot even for a better card? Socket A is getting older by the minute, even finding a mb like mine that runs A64-939 and has a AGP slot instead of the newer pci-e16x is getting tougher, I wanted to keep my gfx card if I could. I wouldnt bother changing from a 2500 to a 3000 you would barely notice a difference, is your Barton 2500+ unlocked, some of them were, and you can run them at XP3200+ speed buy just setting FSB to 400, of course you would need PC3200 for that for best results.

7. Dko

Dko Thread Starter

I gots 768 MB(3x256)s of ddr ram. Each chip has different max mhz (im poor and my original 512 mb chip died and the other two chips I got from friends) so there stuck all running at just 133 mhz I do have AGP as my card uses it. Its the fact its a Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 (Which I have heard has plenty of bottle necks). The 3000 chip ill get for free so I might as well shove it in my computer and im not sure if mine current chip is unlocked or locked. Doing anything to over clock it might not be the best idea for me anyway because in this summer heat my computer is running close too 130F(And I have a decent amount of fanning.)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice