1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which CPU would you choose?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Soundy, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Soundy

Soundy Thread Starter

I have a customer's 32-channel surveillance DVR that's getting a lot of heavy use, and he's asked me to look at hardware upgrades for it. He wants to boost it to the max 4GB RAM it will take (yes, we're aware 32-bit XP will only use 3.5-ish GB), and he wants to look at a CPU upgrade.

Since Intel's branched off all over the place with their designs and model names, and clock speeds are less and less relevant, it's hard to keep track of what types are better than others any more (other than Celeron still being pretty much bottom of the barrel).

So for those who know: the following link lists compatible CPUs for the board I'm dealing with... I want to know which are the best to look at: CPU-Upgrade: ASUS P5GC-VM processor support and specifications

Present CPU is:
    Code:
    CPU Name	                              Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    CPU Code Name	                      Cedar Mill
    Vendor	                              GenuineIntel
    Number of Bits	                      64
    Instruction Set	                      MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, ET64, XD, EST
    Platform Name	                      Socket 775 LGA
    Revision	                              D0
    Technology	                              65 nm
    Original Clock	                      3000 MHz
    Original System Clock	              200 MHz
    Original Multiplier	                      15.0
    CPU Clock	                              3000 MHz
    System Clock	                      200.0 MHz
    FSB	                                      800.0 MHz
    Number of Cores	                      1
    Core #1	 
    Speed	                              3000.1 MHz
    Multiplier	                              15.0
    Virtual Technology Supported	      No
    Hyper Threading Supported	      Yes
    Hyper Threading Enabled	      Yes
    Cache	 
    L1 Data Cache	                      16 KBytes
    L1 Trace Cache	                      12 Kµops
    L2 Cache	                              2048 KBytes
    Customer would prefer to avoid anything that needs a beta BIOS... what would you recommend for the best CPU upgrade for this system?

Thanks, O gurus!

2. Compiler

Compiler

Its a pretty old board, but it does work on some Core2 CPUs... find the fastest one you get get from that list that is not beta... that is the E6700. It'll easily be a much better CPU. Or if you find an e6600, that'll do to.

Thing is... finding them. www.pricewatch.com sells stuff from small companies... easy to use.
    Cheapest E6600 is $70, but hits $100 quickly. E6700 is $280! Ouch. Many are used / pull chips.

Would it be possible to put in a NEW board and CPU/RAM and reinstall XP, install the DVR software?
    A modern I3 CPU is about $120 + $75 board + $25 for 4GB RAM.

3. Soundy

Soundy Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, appreciate the suggestions! I'll pass them on and see what the customer wants to do.

4. norubit

norubit

I agree with compiler! I had a similar case with one of my customers and it was going to.cost more to put a faster core2 in then to upgrade m/b cpu and ram! I also said it would be better going this way as it is newer technology and is easier to upgrade later on (depending on how much later on

5. Soundy

Soundy Thread Starter

Thanks for that... I tend to agree, except that a full swap and rebuild would require substantially more downtime. Factor in billing for my time on site, and suddenly it's not so cheap :)

6. Compiler

Compiler

Check out this chart: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...Transcode-Handbrake-MPEG-2-to-H.264,2421.html

Scroll all the way to the bottom. That Pentium 4 would be slower than that Celeron (its a single-core Core2 CPU)... I'd say wround 1800~2000 seconds. P4s are horrible CPUs.

The e6300 = 626, so its 3 times faster. So a e6400 or e6600 would be a huge improvement as well. But considering the P4-class motherboard you are looking to put this on, I wouldn't expect them to run at their "fullest". I think on that site, the e6400 is going for $50. Keep it on the cheap. Also, look at a new cooler too.

I wouldn't spend $140~280 for an old Core2 CPU... Especially when you can get a NEW AMD dual-core for $60 that is just as fast or faster + $65 motherboard + $25 RAM.

This is what I tell my clients, there are certain ages in which I recommend NOT servicing the hardware. Things like PSU, drives don't count as they are easy and cheap replacement. But rebuilding a 5+ year old PC, I'd say if I'm doing the time - might as well spend a few hundred and put in new guts... Why pay me for 2-3 hours of trouble shooting/repair work when I can swap it out? Get years of more life and a faster PC.

I just replace an OLD AMD single-core I built for a client 8 years ago... for a spanking new i5-3570/mobo/RAM ($315 - not including drives, OS & labor). I think that old PC was about $1200+ in parts :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1057352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice