1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which Distro?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by cardinalfanatic, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cardinalfanatic

cardinalfanatic Thread Starter

I have copies of Ubuntu 7.10 and Fedora 8, and am considering getting a copy of SuSE. Which do you guys reccomend?

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    I thought you might like to check out linux on Wubi, site explains the idea (no dual booting etc) and you can run Ubuntu/Kubuntu or Xubuntu - the last one works well on my laptop.

http://wubi-installer.org/

Richard

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

They're all pretty popular, try each one and see which one you prefer.

4. kickback999

kickback999

If you like Wubi, I recommend you try firstly a user friendly Linux distro like Fedora

5. utanja

utanja

each distro has something a little unique from the other distro's.....you should decide what your purpose is and then match it with the distro that most fits your needs......:):)

6. bkdc

bkdc

utanja is correct, you should also consider your skill & knowledge of Linux to make the job a lot easier. Go to Linux Distrubution Chooser & take the test you may find it very helpful.

7. Arcadion

Arcadion

I took the test and it suggested Mandriva, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Debian and Fedora. That narrows it down a bit :p

8. net_newsy

net_newsy

9. kickback999

kickback999

I recommend Fedora, I mean come on Fedora 9 Sulphur is an infinately better name the Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron.
    A lot of people are getting Ubuntu, and there are a lot of good things to say about it. However:
    From my experience, the installation of Fedora is just that bit easier than Ubuntu and the OS itself is slightly more responsive and cutting edge, but the Ubumtu interface is slightly more dumbed down after installation for the average winblows convert.
    But then whether you choose Ubuntu, Fedora or Mandriva they all have good forums with helpful people who will guide you through and really, there is not much to choose between them. They do the same thing as each other and all do it much better than windows.

10. Uth233

Uth233

If your Linux experience is very little may I also recommend adding PCLOS to the list of those you are considering. I think that of all the distros out that one is the most noob friendly. Then a close tie between Ubuntu & Suse.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice