1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which Driver for my Moniter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Taurus229, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Taurus229

Taurus229 Thread Starter

Hi

I just finshed reformatting my machine here and rinstalling windows. However, I am having trouble finding the right driver for my moniter. This is an ancient moniter, built in 1995. In the back it says "CD Electronics Inc." as the manufactuaer and the serial number is "SRC1452L" then a space and "P-28". The driver that windows installed by default was just the standard moniter which only has a maximum of 16 colors. Before I formated it I had high color 16 bit.

Request advice

BTW, I am using windows 98.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Have you checked Windows update under hardware updates? Sometimes you get lucky. I don't usually depend on Windows update for hardware but it has a newer monitor driver for my samsung than the disk I got with it.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its not the monitor driver you need its the video card driver thats responsible for high color and higher resolutions.

You'll need to identify the video card and install teh correcct driver. You can download Everest and see what it reports for a video card. Look under the Devices -> Physical Devices section.

Unless you know what video card you have in which case just download and install the correct driver.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3

4. Taurus229

Taurus229 Thread Starter

I downloaded the program. There are no video cards under the "Devices --> Physical Devices" Secton, but under "Display --> Windows Video" there is a "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)". What do I do from here?

I also looked at the Windows update but I couldn't find anything. I'll check again.

Thanks for all the help so far.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Standard PCI Graphics Adaptoor is what Windows installs when it doesn't have the driver for the video card.

Is the computer a brand name like a Compaq? Also is the connector where the monitor plugs a seperate card or part of the motherboard? If its part of the motherboard post the motherboard model.

Post alll the items Everest listed under the Physical Devices section. You can do a screen shot to make it esaier.

6. Taurus229

Taurus229 Thread Starter

Both the computer and moniter have the name, "Certified Data" or "CD Electronics Inc." on them. When I boot up the computer, it says, "American Megatrends". The connecter where the moniter plugs in is a part of the motherbord. I am not sure who manufactued the motherbord but I suspect it was "American Megatrends Inc."

How do you do a screanshot?

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

There is another piece of software Belarc Advisor its a free DL run it and let it scan and on the middle portion that is a spot that says Display. That should tell you about your Hardware.

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Sorry mispost -

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  10. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Sounds like everest doesn't determine it correctly if she was running 16 bit before and now can only run 16 color and it shows VGA.

If you can get the MB model than all it takes is going to the website and downloading the new drivers.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice