1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which external HD to buy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by novice973, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. novice973

novice973 Thread Starter

Hi, With all the recent problems we've had on our internal HD, we are looking to buy an external HD to store our backups. Can anyone recommend a good external 500+ gig HD. I have a Dell Dimension 8200 running XP. I was told by Dell that I need to buy a new USB 2.0 PCI adapter. They recommend D-Link 2 port USB 2.0 PCI Adapter. I also want to buy an external HD for my laptop...Dell Latitude D600. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

2. briealeida

briealeida

How much are you looking to spend on it?

3. yocalif

yocalif

I just bought a external drive setup, from newegg
    Below is my review I posted on newegg.
    1st do you have an SATA hard drive in your dell, if you do then you there is no reason not to go for eSATA interface for the fastest transfers possible. 2nd if you still need USB connection for you labtop the AMS model and a lot of others have both eSATA & USB.
    Now if you don't have an extra SATA connection on you your motherboard newegg has several pci controllers that will give you multiple eSATA connections.

Ok I'm not happy with the AMS enclosure, the fan is practically useless, the unit is running hot 116F my HD in the computer case is 104F. Otherwise, the AMS enclosure is great.
    I would get the Antec MX-1, newegg was out of stock.

My son has the Maxtor III USB external 350g, it was cheap $119+tax at Fry's, but it has no fan and is slow by comparison, yet very easy to setup.

here is my review on newegg:
    Pros: New External Drive with components: AMS Venus Enclosure DS-2316SUESBK (SATA to USB2.0 or eSATA) SABRENT SATA-ES2P (6" External 2-Port Host Bracket Cable ) Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Model ST3500630AS 500gig *Ordered Tueday morning PST, arrived Thursday AM.. Newegg is GREAT! *AMS Enclosure, easy install of drive and eSATA setup. No Drivers or software necessary under Windows XP, for eSATA. Besure to get the eSATA to SATA jumper bracket if you don't have eSATA connection already. *eSATA connector and screw holes for drive tray lined up perfect. *VERY quiet. *Works as GREAT! 1st test 11+gig transfer in 2 minutes, try that with USB interface connection.

Cons: *Instructions says screws for mounting drive are included. My AMS package had no screws. *Instructions say nothing about steps necessary for eSATA install. *Touching top of AMS enclosure while operating, it feels warmer than I expected. *Opening enclosure and touching drive, drive is very warm. Conclusion, while very quiet, the fan is bare minimum to cool drive, I don't think it really does alot. However I expect fan is enough to keep the drive running a long time based on engineering specs.

4. novice973

novice973 Thread Starter

I don't want to spend a whole lot for it. Is around $200 reasonable? My husband thinks that we don't need it. The reason I want to get an external drive as backup is because within 1.5 months, both HD in the Dell Dimension 8200 died. These are both WD1200JB, both with dates of 6/14/2004, and both replaced around 9/2004...not that old. We used these to replace the orig HD that came with the Dimension when the orig HD had a bad sector. About a month and a half ago, the primary WD1200JB made weird noises then died. I bought the WD3200JB and after much work, recovered some of the data. Two days ago, my 2nd WD1200JB is having problems. I can't read any data from it and XP thinks it should format it. Now, I have to buy a replacement 2nd HD. Since the 2nd drive is our backup drive, my husband didn't feel I have to buy another backup medium. I am thinking I should have backup outside of the PC case (I know, irrationable). Maybe what I need is not an external HD, but, another drive company. Anyone has a recommendation for a 320gb EIDE drive?

Our system is can use only EIDE drives. How tough is it to add SATA capability? Will there be any issue with have EIDE drives with SATA drives?

5. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    I just a few days ago purchased a Seagate Freeagent 320gb at Walmart. I'm ripping my entire CD collection to it. Its quiet, works as it should and is USB. I considered the 500gb model but Walmart did not have it in stock.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    That is an Extremely good Idea ... Not irrational at all.
    You should also think about getting Acronis True Image to go with the external HD.
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    Buy here .. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...DEPA=0&Description=acronis+true+image&x=0&y=0

You can then backup your Entire Computer ... in addition to your personal Data.
    Then if you have a problem ... make a couple clicks .. take a short break ..
    And your computer will be running exactly like it was when you backed it up.

7. novice973

novice973 Thread Starter

How much was the Seagate Freeagent 320gb? I want the 500gb. Figure I can backup my laptop on it as well.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Another good idea.

I might suggest ... While at Newegg getting Acronis True Image ... you add ...
    This .. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817424001
    and maybe one of these ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...+1035407760+103530113+1035307886&name=Seagate
    to go in the Enclosure.

This is sort of next generation hardware .. to go with your next generation computer.
    But it'll work great as a USB external ... for now.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice