1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which Full System backup software do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by HitAnyKey, Sep 19, 2004.

?

What is your favorite system backup software?

1. Acronis True Image 8.0

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Norton Ghost 9.0 (by itself)

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Norton Systemworks 2004 (as 2005 isn't out yet)

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Symantec Drive Image 7.0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. NTI Drive Backup! 3.0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HitAnyKey

HitAnyKey Thread Starter

First Name:
    Eric
    Since my other thread didn't get me as much information and input as I was hoping for, I'm going to try one that also has a poll within it for those of you that don't want to type out a response, but are willing to click on the poll. :)

I'm trying to decide which backup software to use and hence, buy. I want the one that operates the best and has the most features without costing a small fortune. In other words, I want the most bang for the buck.

I'm going to need something that can create a bootable recovery CD and not rely only on a bootable floppy (since I don't have a floppy drive in this machine). Though I have a feeling all the new versions of any software allow for making the recovery CD's in addition to floppies.

I'm looking for a program that I can run to back up my full system on CD (or DVD) and would also like the possibility of incremental and/or differential backups. The software would also need to work with NTFS, as that's the platform I'm on.

I'm going to leave an 'Other' option for those of you who don't like any of these choices, but ask that if you click that that you also reply with what software you like and why.

Also anyone that has any preferences and would like to add something, please tell me what features your favorite software have that the others don't. (ie. the reason you like it better than the rest)

I'm currently considering just forking out the dough to buy Norton Systemworks 2005 Premier, though it'll cost me possibly $100 and I'm not sure I really want to spend that much, especially since I won't be using the virus scan. Though I have liked their Optimization utility and some of the other utilities in the past.

2. hewee

hewee

Note that if you have any older version of Norton software even if it is just the AV you maybe able I think pay the upgrade price.

http://nct.symantecstore.com/0001/upgrade_center.html

Just type in the your serial number or part number and it will tell you.
    Hey if you can save $30.00 then check it out.

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Acronis True Image is good. It has my vote. Ghost is just as good though to be truthful.

4. southernlady

southernlady

Tried Ghost 2003, was working on my system but crashed my husband's and his was the slave that we were trying to send mine to.

WON'T ever try THAT one again. Liz

5. smeegle

smeegle

I pondered this same question some weeks ago. Then I noticed that all of the software of this nature required you to be able to access your computer. So if your computer crashes and dies an untimely death these programs are useless. I then
    decided to order an external hard drive as a back up. It is enroute even as we speak. This is what it looks like http://www.pc4usa.com/DetailSales.asp?productID=113&parCat=&Scatn=0&Catn=6

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

You do need a slave, or at least a partition for acronis. I have a bootdisk so I can access it even if the machine is hammered. What really sucks is that none of them are failsafe.

7. HitAnyKey

HitAnyKey Thread Starter

First Name:
    Eric
    From what I've been able to determine, you don't need a 'live' computer to use Norton Ghost. And same with a bunch of the others. You use the software to create a bootable rescue CD. You use that to boot the syste from the CD and restore the system to it's backed up state utilizing that.
    Unless I'm mistaken, that is. But in either case, that's one of the features I'm looking for in whatever software I buy. So if one of these that I listed above can't do that, then I certainly don't want that one.

8. smeegle

smeegle

An interesting thought, HitAnyKey. But if your hard drive is not responding in any fashion when you try to turn it on, how can inserting a cd into it revive it? I have restore disks that came with my Windows ME computer which are to be used to reinput the software if it is absolutely, positively necessary. However, I don't think that they can breathe life into an unresponsive machine. If I'm wrong, someone please tell me.

9. HitAnyKey

HitAnyKey Thread Starter

First Name:
    Eric
    Well, a hard drive that is completely dead is one thing. That I wouldn't expect a software backup to be able to breath live into. I'm more referring to if the harddrive/computer decides to give itself an embolism and no longer operates. The backup software would then be able to rewrite the sectors of the hard drive to return it to the state it was at when it was backed up.

Or if you do end up with a totally fried HD, then you can take your backup copy and write it to a new replacement hard drive and have your machine back and running that way.

10. Slick Nick

Slick Nick

I've used both Ghost and Drive Image in the past. For my money, Acronis has proven to be superior for my needs. It's very easy to use and the complete system backups are fast. I've used a saved image to restore my system a couple of times after problems occurred and Acronis saved my bacon both times. I highly recommend it if you want a reliable and easy to use backup program.

11. prospect

prospect

I've been using Norton Ghost for about 4 years now, and it's never let me down yet. (y) I'm done all kinds of things like bringing back my system from my slave drive to over write a different OS system on my local drive. Different partitions, my local drive with nothing in it at all, ect.

12. HitAnyKey

HitAnyKey Thread Starter

First Name:
    Eric
    Can anyone come up with a good reason (besides just being anti-Norton :)) for not getting Norton Systemworks Premier with Ghost included and just getting Ghost 9.0 all by itself?
    I see most of the Ghost voters have voted for it by itself and not as part of Systemworks, but I'm guessing that's mostly because you simply didn't get Systemworks so only have the experience of Ghost by itself?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!