Which graphics card?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bakleth

Hello all. I've recently updated my PC to an 64 bit Athlon 3200+ with 1024 ram. Unfortunately, the graphics are onboard and, although some games run fine, I need to boost the performance. I do have a PCI slot and would like to get a 256 mb card. Trouble is, there's so many out there and I can't afford to mess up. Also, I'd love to be able to spend what I like, but the budget's going to be around £150.00. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Dave.

PCI? Do u actually mean PCI Express? In fact it would be an idea to post your motherboard details, so can be sure (going to be either PCI express or AGP).

As for cards around the £150 mark

you'll be looking at x800(ati) or 6600GT (nvidia), would recommend checking www.tomshardware.com to see how the performance compares, with whatever games u might be playing. oh and i looked at www.ebuyer.com for prices.

bakleth said:
Hello all. I've recently updated my PC to an 64 bit Athlon 3200+ with 1024 ram. Unfortunately, the graphics are onboard and, although some games run fine, I need to boost the performance. I do have a PCI slot and would like to get a 256 mb card. Trouble is, there's so many out there and I can't afford to mess up. Also, I'd love to be able to spend what I like, but the budget's going to be around £150.00. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Dave.
if you have a Athlon 64 its got to be PCI-E not PCI, I dont even think Dell would pull that crap, could be wrong though.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/6600_GT.html

bakleth

Thaks for that. Sorry, I should have said PCI Express (something like a 16x slot) if that makes any sense. I've not got much of a clue about these things, my last PC was an AMD 700 with a 32bit card so things have moved on a bit since then. As for games, Far Cry runs fine on my 128 integrated ATI chip, but Doom 3 is very slow. I did read something about Doom 3 being Open-GL and Far Cry being 3d, but I have to admit that I didn't really understand the difference!

Yeah Doom 3 uses an OpenGL graphics engine, whilst Far Cry uses DirectX. ATI normally perform better with DirectX than OpenGL, where Nvidia is normally the other way around. As i said uses tomshardware guide to see what games work well on what cards.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online