1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which has the problem - Processor , Video Card or some other?

Discussion in 'Games' started by morroblivion, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. morroblivion

morroblivion Thread Starter

Ok so my old PC has been upgraded slightly, mainly focusing on video card since it got busted 2 times already. When it was returned to me, I was able to play Oblivion on it on Max but now I can barely play anything without framerate issues. Even Morrowind's fps drops from time to time(and Morrowind was 2002-2003) Not sure if it's the Video Card bumping up again, or the processor, free space ram etc. What happens mainly is it runs smoothly then it lags for about 30 seconds or more. You know like the feeling when you have a stomach ache and it keeps returning from time to time, that's how the framerate problem is like. It happens even when I'm walking on a quiet area and boom the lag appears. It becomes worse on crowded areas in games. Like when having big fights, very rarely does it run smoothly. Like 5 seconds of smooth running then back to lag and a long time before the smooth gameplay returns. So what do you guys think the problem is?

SPECS
    XP SP3
    1 G Ram(Might replace this soon)
    10.5 GB free on Disk C, out of 39 GB
    22.2 GB free on Disk D, out of 35.4
    Nvidia Geforce 210, 1GB
    Intel Pentium 4 , 3.00GHz

Oh and is AMD Radeon HD 6770 better than Geforce 210?

2. Megabite

Megabite

Try this

Download and install hwmonitor
    and see what the temps etc are. Download the 1.17 setup, english on the righthand side.
    ....take a reading when not running the game or programs CPU(core) and GPU Video card and post them. (Just a screenshot of results is fine)

Then run the game or any other intensive program for awhile and take another reading post the results

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Megabite beat me to it (nothing unusual there haha). If you have 'killed' two other graphics cards that would lead me to think the problem is not the cards themselves. Possible issues are cooling problem (components getting too hot) and/or a power supply problem. HWMonitor will give us information about both of those possibilities and may lead us to a moer permanent solution for you.

4. morroblivion

Ok but which one do you guys think have the problem? Processor, GPU or hard drive.(around 30GB / 74GB)

I'm not very experienced with forums so I can only post on mediafire. Please download them guys I really need help.

Normal condition, only browsing web.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?87xjh2qh266vyb7

When playing, game activated was Gothic 3, Enhanced Edition
    http://www.mediafire.com/?wxtgc8m8rhc7i06

The image appeared small but when magnified is still readable

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Its hard to say exactly what the problem is, thats why we ask for additional info :) All the bits we ask you to do provide little bits of information about the overall system, each bit helps add a peice to the puzzle so we can better advice rather than taking stabs in the dark.

Unfortunately I can not access mediafire from my work (internet police block it) so I will have a look at the files tonight if nobody else does before that.

6. Megabite

Megabite

Here are your results.. Your CPU seems quite warm and your Video card seems very warm also which could be causing the freezing.....your 12v rail is very low ...did your powersupply come with the PC?

Attached Files:

7. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Thanks for reposting Megabite, I tried to have a look last night but my router was up and down like a yoyo so couldn't do much.

I agree, your temps are a little high and you +12v rail is definately very low, this could be due to the power supply failing (possibly through age). Have you looked inside your PC and cleaned it out? Dust will build up over time and it tends to build up in and around heatsinks and fans, this dust then acts as an insulator which stops the heatsinks / fans doing their job.

I would double check the voltages in the BIOS if you know how to, you just need to access the BIOS at startup and look through it, don't need to change anything. It should list those voltages somewhere in one of its options, probably a hardware related menu. Any software can sometimes miss read sensor outputs and display incorrect results but the BIOS will always be accurate.

8. morroblivion

Thanks for the replies guys. The Power Supply did come with the PC, it was very old , 5 years now I think. As far as I know, only the GPU has been changed (from a 64mb one to 9500GT then to the Geforce 210) and the RAM(from 512 mb to 1GB)
    I'll check on it soon, still have lots of things to fix. Also, I connect the computer directly to the socket. Is that bad? I used to have it connected to a voltage regulator but now its not. It's the one(the end of the wire, the one that connects to the socket) with 2 flat ones and a round circular one. My friend cut out with circular one with pliers so that it would fit in the socket. Is that bad?

The socket im talking about is something like this, except without the circular one at the bottom
    http://hothardware.com/newsimages/Item13217/u-socket.jpg

9. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Probably a good reason to upgrade the PSU anyway then. If it is that old, came with the PC (so only really enough to power it as it came from the shop) and you have upgraded the GPU twice (which will increase load on the power supply), I would say it is probably at the end of its life, if not past it.

I am no electrician, but I would suggest that probably isn't a good idea :eek:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice