1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which ip is wich fpr a router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sbvr6, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sbvr6

sbvr6 Thread Starter

Ok so i bought the router, and though it does drop the internet connection sometimes, its still a reliable router. Its the silver netgear thing. Anyway, i still cant figure out which ip is which. I mean my ip on my machone according to the router is that generic 192 ending in .03. I have port forwarding enabled so i can see video on netmeeting. But i am still confused as to what ip is mine. I did that tracert stuff, and it says my ip from the router, then an ip that starts with 10..... and ends in .03 i think. I'm not sure if thats the one, but if anyone can shed light?

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, your question confused me, so maybe a generic explanation. :)

When you're using a broadband router, you have a single IP address from your ISP, say 68.81.123.55. When you connect your computers to the router, they are all assigned addresses from the DHCP pool, usually 192.168.2.xx. NAT (Network Address Translation) takes care of translating each computer's address to the ISP's IP address going and back to yours on the return trip so you get any traffic that's routed to you.

If you want to know which address got assigned to which computer in your network, you can usually go to the router's configuration page and check the status, it should show you the MAC address, the IP, and the computer name of all connected computers.

If this doesn't answer the question, try again. :)

3. Rikku

Rikku

Depending on your Operating System there are two ways to find your IP address.

Win9x - Click Start, Run, then type 'winipcfg' for an IP Config utility.

Win2k/XP - Bring up a command prompt and type 'ipconfig'

4. Del

Del

Click on Start > Run and type in command for win 95, 98 and ME and cmd for Win 2000, NT or XP. A dos or command prompt window will open. Type "tracert yahoo.com" without the quotes and hit enter. The second line should have the IP address the router gets from you provider. The 1st IP (a 192 one) is the IP address your router uses to find your particular computer on your network.

5. sbvr6

sbvr6 Thread Starter

i know the ipconfig utility, and that gives me a 192..168.0.02-05 ip, where the last digit is dependent on what the dhcp gave me. but, i dont think this would be the ip for people off the net to reach me at. I mean if i wanted someone to call me on netmeeting, from outside the network, say some1 in Cali, and im in NYC, what ip would i give them in order for them to be able to call me, because i always thought the 192.168.0.02 similar ips were a generic ip all routers used. I get a ip that starts with 10. and trails on in a similar fashion on the second line when i do the "tracert" stuff. I'm still confused. I tried to look zat my routers config page, but it still lists all the ips in like a sequential order, the 192 ip. And i thought that wasnt unique to my machine, on the network yea, but on the net? Isnt it a generic ip used by most routers. Some1 help.

6. JohnWill

As I previously described, the router is the last place that your external address appears, then it's translated to your private LAN address. If you look on the status page in the router, you will find your true IP address, so I thought that I already answered that question. :rolleyes:

One easy way to solve this problem is with a dynamic DNS service, there are several free ones available. NO-IP is one that I have used. This allows you to establish a domain name for your machine, and they have a client that runs on your machine and keeps their DNS server updated if your IP changes. You establish a name on their server, and run the client, and that name will always find your machine. I have a name sharedfiles.myftp.org that I use when I turn on my FTP to allow a client to FTP to my machine to pick up some files. It's convenient and easy to use. Check it out... :)

7. sbvr6

sbvr6 Thread Starter

so when i goto the configuration page, and goto "attached devices" that has the mac addresses and computer names, that is the ip that people will use to find me. 192.168.0.?? where the ? changes. If thats the case, so i can tell people to use that to call me on netmeeting? I'm sorry if im being dense, but im just trying to make sense of this crazy crazy scheme.

8. melonhead

melonhead

$teve posted this sight awhile ago. Maybe this can help.

http://www.lawrencegoetz.com/programs/ipinfo/

9. JohnWill

That's the wrong status page, you want the WAN parameters. Since I don't have that router, I don't can't direct you to the proper page, but there should be a page with the WAN IP, the DNS addresses, etc.

If you go to Network Tools your IP address is in the middle of the page.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice