1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which is better XP Pro or Home Edition?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brindygirl, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brindygirl

brindygirl Thread Starter

Hello! Just had been helped over in the security forum with some issues with my PC which have now been resolved thanks to Cybertech. Had asked him if he had any idea which OS would be better for my PC. My ISP which is AT&T no longer supports my OS which is 98SE. Without upgrading to another OS I cannot get any updates for the spyware or others they offer.

We only have one PC presently and think that may be all we will have. We surf the net, the kids come over and play some games but that is really it nothing too intense.

Any recommendations would greatly be appreciated!!

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

You need to tell us your pc brand and model and hardware in order for us to answer intelligently.

4. The Hound

The Hound

Personally, for the way you describe your machine and usage, I like 98SE. I'd more likely go with someone else's security software--AVG is free--Superantispyware, free--Spybot Search and Destroy--free.

Memory upgrade to support XP, about 40 dollars.

Windows XP Home, about 95 dollars.

Windows XP Pro, about 195 dollars.

Spending that money on a big flat panel monitor or a new desk chair instead....

Priceless.

Seriously though...If you go for XP, for a single machine with basic household use, XP Home will do just fine. You'll want at least 256 Megs RAM (more is better), and at least a 40 gig 7200 rpm hard drive (about 40 bucks) to guarantee space for basic use.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of other opinions--just as valid if not more so. If Cybertech had a suggestion, I take everything back unless it's what I just said...

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I agree, if W98 is working for you, there are free alternatives for security products that will work with W98. No need to try to upgrade...

6. brindygirl

Thank you all for your input and advise, I really do appreciate it.

My PC is an Equus computer from 6 years ago.

It is a P3-733mhz
    30gb HD
    512 Memory

Basic video card
    Basic CD/ROM
    DVD player/burner

I will do a bit more research on the Home / Pro versions before I make a final decision but I am leaning towards the Home more right now.

Will I need any hardware to be changed?? I think I have enough memory and will have to update the HD to a bigger one. Other than that is there anything else needed? What about video?? My motherboard had ISA slots to let you all know how old it is but dang it's a good one.. other than some issues that folks here have helped me with , the hardware has been strong.

Thanks again for all your help.

7. batharoy

batharoy

You wont need to upgrade your HD.
    Microsoft system specs for XP Pro

8. Moony187

Moony187

I think you should get Windows XP Pro Edition.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

. . and why is that?

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Someone with a single pc that has been on Windows 98 for 10+ years would hardly need XP Pro networking abilitiy difference...that's pure waste.
    And JohnWill, this pc can handle XP and certainly it would run a lot better and safer on it than Windows 98 at this late date.

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

On a system that old, I like to update the BIOS to the newest version before installing XP. . some are not compatible with XP

12. brindygirl

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

After mulling it over a bit, I've made XP Home the OS of choice.

Now, will I have to purge everything that I have on my HD and then re-format and then install XP?

If so does anyone have any input or site I can use to get instructions? I've done it before with 98 and though it may take me a bit of time, I've accomplished the task and felt pretty good about it also.

simpswr

Distinguished Member Posts: 7,294
    Experience: Learning

On a system that old, I like to update the BIOS to the newest version before installing XP. . some are not compatible with XP

How or where do I go to get the BIOS info ? Trust me I am not leary of checking this if need be..

Thanks again everyone I do appreciate all your input

13. Old Rich

Old Rich

No need to purge files or format prior to installing XP . . you do all that early in the installation:

Enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

If you are using an upgrade version installation CD, you'll also need a CD with an older operating system ( Windows 98SE or Windows ME ) to complete the install. Also Make sure you have the 25-digit product code for the Windows XP CD.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete any or all partitions and recreate one or more, then proceed to formating and installing XP.

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up. The prompt will appear after every reboot, but do not press any key on subsequent reboots. The setup process will continue with no action required from you.

If you do not get that message, and if you have another optical drive, try the XP CD in the other drive.

This is a site that walks you thru a simulated XP installation:
    http://www.echoproject.net/en/software/catalog.html

These are good guides to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print one for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
    http://www.socrtwo.info/cleanxpinstall.htm
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

You will likely have to reload drivers (Chipset first) and applications, If your XP installation disc does not include SP2, after the installation, you will need to download and install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

If you want to save your files and settings, you can use the XP Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) wizard to create an image of them and save to cd or other removable media. These are good guides to using the FAST wizard. Just be sure you have an up-to-date antivirus before you re-instate them!

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_fstw.asp
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

For help entering BIOS: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

When you first turn the power, look at the top of the screen for the BIOS and date. What brand PC is it?

14. EnfoToad

EnfoToad

If you want to do remote desktop you should get XP Pro. You need to update your HD to at least 120GB and your memory to 1GB min.

Good Luck!

15. jackdw

jackdw

The memory and hard drive doesn't NEED to be updated.
    Minimum XP Pro specs:
    PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space

Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

I have XP running smoothly on a AMD K6 (300mhz) with 192mb RAM and a nVidia GeForce FX5200 128mb. 2gb + 18gb hard drives.
    Also runs smoothly on a 366mhz intel celeron, 256mb RAM, on-board graphics. 18gb + 15gb hard drives.

It will run very well on your current system. XP has numerous benefits and I reccomend upgrading to either Home or Pro. I'd go for Pro if your wallet allows, if not, Home will be ok.
    If your happy with 98 however, fine.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!