1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which is better?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jburley, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jburley

jburley Thread Starter

Hello,

This is my first post so forgive me if this has been asked before. I'm considering building a new system and i want to know which motherboard I should choose. I'm considering the "ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS" and the "MSI 970A-G45 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard."

This is my first gaming system and before I make the plunge I need to know if the following parts are compatible with either board or with each other, or if there are a more suitable list of parts I should consider.

Here are the parts I plan to use:

PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750
    CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advance
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
    CPU FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212
    HDD1: Corsair Force Series 3 60GB SATA III SSD
    HDD2: Seagate 1TB (Storage)
    RAM: G Skill Ripjaw Series 16GB DDR3 PC 12800
    VIDEO: Radeon HD 4670

Any advise on these parts would be greatly appreciated

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

The primary question we would ask (and you should ask yourself) when putting together a new build is .... 'What is the intended use for the PC?'. Is it a gaming PC, general use (word processing, internet, email), graphics design, audio editing etc.

Are you planning to overclock? If not, I personally wouldn't bother with an aftermarket CPU cooler.

Looking at the two boards their specs are very similar. Personally I would go for the Asus over the MSI because, in my opinion, Asus is the better make. If I had the choice of others I almost always go for Gigabyte boards myself.

Is the RAM on the motherboard manufacturers Qualified Vendor List (QVL) / Memory Support List (MSL)? I generally buy RAM modules that are. Those on the list have been tested by the motherboard manufacturer and they effectively guarantee compatibility, it provides the buyer with an extra level of support in the event of a problem. You can check the QVL/MSL for each board on my links:

Asus

MSI

Edit: crj posted while I was typing, nice to see pretty much the same thoughts on the makes :)

4. jburley

jburley Thread Starter

Thank you both for your speedy reply.

I plan on using this as my primary computer as well as a gaming computer. Right now I want to see how well it performs without overclocking it but eventually I do intend on overclocking it so i can see it's full potential.

CRJ- thanks for the advise, I looked up that board and it is impressive. It has everything those other boards have and it's cheaper than the ASUS I was leaning towards. Also I did check and the ram is compatible with this board

Also, do you think that power supply is too much?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You could get by with a corsair in the 650W range; that is what I am using now with a nvidia 260 video card.

The only thing having a larger capacity pw supply is going to hurt is your wallet. If you are happy with the 750W, then it is fine.

6. jburley

jburley Thread Starter

In selecting my parts I started out with the 650W but thought that once I overclock the CPU I might need more power so i choose the 750W, but do you think the 650W can handle it? I'm not too concerned about the price I just want something that can handle overclocking.

I've never overclocked anything, I've never had to but I want to try with this CPU. It seems it can get up to 4Ghz. I also want to eventually add another video card and link them together

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are going to add another video card, I would go with the 750W corsair. I agree that the 4xxx series is getting somewhat old now and IF you are doing a new build, I would go with a more modern card.

9. jburley

jburley Thread Starter

Oh ok, thanks. I got that card a while back and it was only $40, no wonder it was so cheap.

Now when it comes to video cards what should I look for? I intend to get that Gigabite board CRJ mentioned earlier so what kind of cards would be best for that board? My monitor has a VGA connections, so would these "updated" cards come with a DVI/VGA adapter?

Also when you add more than 1 card is it always best to get the same brand or does that matter? Where can i read up on connection 2 video cards?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The cards I have seen all come with an adapter however even if one is not included, you can go to any shop that does builds and they will have all kinds of them. You might even get one for nothing. I know I have thrown out a few of those when I do my "Clean up" of the parts closet.
    Either nvidia or ati/amd cards will work fine. I use an old nvidia 260 and it works just fine.

If you are looking to spend more than the card linked to by T6, then this xfx card would be a little higher end.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521

11. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I have never SLI / Crossfired myself, but as far as I am aware the brand isn't necessarily a problem but they must be the same GPU. So 2x HD6770 but from different manufacturers should be OK by my understanding. Just remember that the additional card will require additional power (GPU is probably the biggest power consumer in a gaming PC) and it will also generate a good amount more heat in the system, so the case and overall cooling need to be considered.

12. jburley

jburley Thread Starter

Oh ok, thanks again. I will keep that in mind whenever I decide on which video card I'll use. The Coolermaster HAF 932 Advance has plenty of fans for cooling so I don't think that will be much of a problem.

Is there anything else you guys can think of that might help me with this build?

13. Bel72

Bel72

My new "Core i5-2500K" build on a P67A-GD65 from MSI has a Radeon HD 6870 (from Asus). Slower than a 6970, so I read - but also less power hungry than a 6970, and that matters to me, too.

"Call of Duty MW3" runs fine on it, with "normal" settings.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice