Which is faster USB2 or firewire?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Firewire can transfer data faster than USB2.0, but on most computers doesnt come as standard, where USB does.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd also pick Firewire, but the difference will depend on the computing power of the machine in question. Firewire uses DMA and imposes very little processor overhead, so it's pretty much the same transfer speed on a wide variety of machines. USB, OTOH, uses PIO and a faster processor will significantly affect it's performance. I went from a 2.4ghz-533 P4 to a 3.2ghz-800 P4 system. The file transfer performance of the same hard disk using USB 2.0 from the old system to the new system increased about 20%. The Firewire performance didn't change enough to measure.

USB2 is theoretically faster than firewire BUT ONLY on short bursts

Firewire is implimented is a more robust fashion, takes less overhead and has a higher CONTINIOUS thoroughput.

So I agree with all Firewire is faster overall, especially for drives, USB2 is cheaper and easier to find.

Cheers

USB2.0 is great and all... but when using external HDs, try to use Firewire. My External HD has both, thus allowing me to work with anyones computer...

Besides, if you need more speed, there is always Firewall800...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online