Which is the best operating system?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

WaRe

I am curious on every one's opinions for what is the most stable operating system. I hear alot of rumors of windows 2000 being the best even though it is more for office applications and has alot of server capabilities but i hear good thigns about it. But i am curious.

WaRe

Wait til October 25th and we shall see! XP is said to be the best in stability or is that Billspeak?

Anne Troy

Anne
How about we move this to the Operating Systems forum so you get better/more responses?

(Done.)

It all depends on what you want to run on it aswell... certain operating systems are more stable than others in certain environments

I suppose we're only talking Windows OS?
I've been from win3.1, 95, 98, nt and now 2000. and tho, I am definitely NOT a gates fan, I think 2000 is the best I've seen. It's aimed at network setups, but for home use it's been great - so stable (even w/non MS applications which I believe MS purposely sabotaged!) 98 was a nightmare for me... ME I heard bad things about.. and XP... I'm not too thrilled with what I understand about it... I'm still trying to figure out why they'd create something like that.
I'm currently on NT at work and am desperately trying to get the upgrade to 2000. btw, once 2000 is set up properly (which is easy enough to do), you don't have to worry about admin permissions and all that - it acts like a normal pc. BUT if you ever want to set up a network or multiple users (like kids) the built in permissions would be handy.

well that's my 25 cents :) inflation and all that.

Considering your question in the text of your post was "I am curious on every one's opinions for what is the most stable operating system." ...
In my opinion, the obvious winner is Windows 2000. I've used it with almost no probs whatsoever. I just installed XP a couple days ago and, stability wise, it seems just as stable as 2000 though it will take more messing with to really see. Concept wise, I think it's going to take me awhile to get used to XP - it's almost insulting - but most features can be turned off or tweaked better than in previous OS's.

As far as which is better, like Spinach said, it totally depends on what you plan on using it for. It's been Windows 98 for gaming and compatibility with most everything but then you lack the stability. Although XP is 'supposed to' have borrowed those features from 98 as well and the stability and security of NT/2000.
From what I've seen so far (which may very well change), I think anyone on Windows 98/ME should upgrade to XP. If using 2000, it's a coin toss.

[addition]
Oh ya, and then there's Linux. I have Mandrake at home and use Slackware on server at work. Very stable. Takes some getting used to though.
(I don't discuss Macs... :p)

WaRe

hehe, Thanks every one for posting their opinions. Yeah it seems 2000 has the best stability for majority of its applications. I know the gaming side is not to thrilled but right now anything beats 98. I was considering XP but some said and from what people posted in the forums is XP alot of bugs or something. But all is appreictive and well thanked for their opinions.

Thanks
WaRe

if you are a gamer, pick windows98
for worker like using photo shop, office, etc, use windows 2000

keep one thing in your mind, after you setup your computer and install all the apps you need, and everything works fine.

Do Not, remember, Do Not try to upgrade your computer for a more speed for anything like that, unless you are having already of time, because some time if you do a little change, the computer will act so weird. so if everything work fine, do not try to do anything on it.

WaRe

Well i use my computer for both games and applications. And around every 9 months my computer always starts up with problems. I dont know what it just does and i been using windows 98 and windows 98 se and plus. Now my friend has had 0 problems with windows 2000 and he uses his windows 2000 for games and for applications. But i think my choice is going to be windows 2000. :)

Again Thanks
WaRe

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online