1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which ISP?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cheifjunior, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cheifjunior

cheifjunior Thread Starter

Hi there

In the near future I am thinking of having my own server.

What is the best ISP for this kind of thing. Reason I ask is I have been advised to be careful when choosing the right ISP as most of them have policies against haveing web servers while being under a contract with them..

I was hopiing someone here is/or has in the past had a server, if so what ISP provider did or are you using?? I have a BT line. So thats a start.

Thanks in advanced.

2. ferrija1

ferrija1

What's the server going to be used for? A home server? A web server?

If it's a home server, I don't think there are any special policies and you probably want to get a pretty fast connection (10MB/second).
    If it's a web server, you're definitely going to want to put it at a data center/colo where they will have fire suppression, air conditioning, a fast internet connection, and more.

3. cheifjunior

Basically the purpose of the server is to host just a few personal wesbsites. Does that classify it as a home server or a web server?

4. ferrija1

ferrija1

That's a web server. You could probably get away with having it at home if the sites are small and don't take much bandwidth and also if the server is small, but you would be better off having it at a data center/colo.

5. cheifjunior

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.

I would finally appreciate If you can

Direct me to a reliable ISP who will be suitable for providin a good and stable internet connection.

Thanks in advance

6. ferrija1

ferrija1

It depends where you live. Verizon FiOS fiber-optics has Up to 15 Mbps/2 Mbps for $50/month.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice