1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which Laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Martin2k5, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Martin2k5

Martin2k5 Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop and have found two that interest me. I was wondering if you'd be able to advise which one would be the best?

The first is the Sony Vaio VGN-FS315B, I've found it online for £749.99. It looks a good laptop. Highish specs and I believe Sony is a good make?

The second is the ACER AS1654WLMI. I've never had any experience with Acer computers but this one does have a higher spec than the Sony one. The processor is 2GHz, the HHD is 80mb and it has twice as much installed memory as the Sony one. One thing I am concerned about is the lack of a firewire port. Does that cut out video editing altogether?

Thanks in advance,
    Martin

2. asusjesus

asusjesus

I just bought an Acer laptop and am very pleased with it's performance. In a laptop survey, Acer laptops came in second to IBM in customer satisfaction. The reason I steered clear of IBM is they are now Lenovo, made in China, whereas Acer still has stateside support if needed.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since I have a real problem with anything with the Sony label on it, I'd go for the Acer. :) I've had too many Sony devices bite the dust, or simply not work properly in the first place. Their service also sucks, so they're on my "never buy" list.

4. Martin2k5

Martin2k5 Thread Starter

Oh I heard Sony were very reliable :confused: ! But just looked at the hard drive for the Sony and it looks really slow (4200rpm)! Does the fact that the Acer has no firewire port rule out any sort of video editing?

Thanks,

Martin

5. asusjesus

asusjesus

I wouldn't use a laptop for video editing, save those tasks for the desk.

6. Martin2k5

Martin2k5 Thread Starter

I know in a perfect world I'd buy both a desktop and laptop but I can only afford one. I do need the computer to be a laptop.

Thanks,

Martin

7. WeepinWillow

WeepinWillow

Don't make the same mistake a lot of us have made, and buy a laptop with the power of a desktop, unless you are prepared for a lot of overheating related problems.

8. Martin2k5

Martin2k5 Thread Starter

What are over-heating related problems?

Thanks,
    Martin

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    over-heating related problems are problems caused by compnent over heating due to insufficent cooling or Operating outside the designed specs, these include system instability to burn out.

For a laptop or Notebook stick with systems designed around Laptop or Notebook components such as the processors Ram and such.

10. michael_jii

michael_jii

you could just stick a firewire card into the expansion slot of the laptop.. then plug in you device to that... or use a USB 2.0 device.

as for the other issues mentioned (laptop with specs like a desktop) these laptops use slightly modified desktop components which are designed to be plugged in all the time, if you shove these in a laptop, the battery life will be rubbish and it'll run very hot.

make sure it's a mobile processor, turion, centrino, pentium m, the acer has a mobile processor, so that's good.

good luck.
    you're in the UK? take a look here http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/c_113501_laptops.html
    put in your requirements, and ot come suitable laptops :D yaay

11. Martin2k5

Martin2k5 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. I ordered my new laptop and it's getting delivered later in the week.

I went for a custom build from Rock Direct in the UK, I'm getting Pegasus 650. Pentium M 2GHz Processor, 80Gb HDD (7200rpm), Dual Layer 8x Slot DVD Drive, 256mb NVIDIA graphics card.

Thanks again for the help,

Martin

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice