Which Linux To Use?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

elgeektech

I have a old dell GX50/1.2mhz/512mb/40gb/cdrom that I would like to install Linux. I'm an experienced windows user but I know nothing Linux. I have tried to install Ubuntu but it does not work. Do you have any suggestions.

Hi elgeektech,

You need to reserve a partition on your hard drive for installation of Linux first, before you attempt to install it, or let it take up the whole disk and blow away your Windows. Consider repartitioning your hard drive in half for a dual-boot system (Windows, Linux).

-- Tom

I'm running dual boot XP and ubuntu 9.10 on an old Compaq 1270 laptop that is nowhere near the machine you're trying to install it. on, so I know it's possible. It's slow, but then it was too with just XP - much faster slow when using ubuntu.;)

I have a old dell GX50/1.2mhz/512mb/40gb/cdrom that I would like to install Linux. I'm an experienced windows user but I know nothing Linux. I have tried to install Ubuntu but it does not work. Do you have any suggestions.
When you say it does not work, what does not work?

Is it installing and then you`re having problems?

Is it not installing properly? Does the cd boot ok and try to install, is it properly burned?

What error messages are you getting, if any? A few more details of what`s happening, or not happening would help.

I'm pretty sure this is something more to do with how you installed it than your specifications. Ubuntu runs and has run on less specifications than yours. Either way, you'll probably be better off with Xubuntu, which is ubuntu running a much lighter Desktop Manager called Xfce.

jiml8

I think you will get satisfactory performance from pretty much any Linux distro that does not use KDE4.

A KDE3 distro will work for you if you want that.

I am running a box very similar to what you describe with Mandriva 2008.1 and KDE3 and its performance is quite acceptable.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online