1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which memory card for speed?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Glogarden, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Glogarden

Glogarden Thread Starter

Simple question but!!??

I have an olympus camera. I use an xd or sd card and understand the sizes eg 1 mb etc. But think that some cards are faster so you can take your pictures in quick succession. How does one know how fast cards are?

Thanks

2. hewee

hewee

Yes some cards are faster. I got a older coolpix 3.1 and the cards speeds have gotten a lot fasters and they have even faster ones now and even more faster cards but they are for the SLR and other higer end cameras.
    High Performance Photo & Video
    http://sandisk.com/

3. Lykele

Lykele

Most cards will tell you their 'read' 'write' speed on the package or in the description.

However, keep in mind that no matter how fast the SD card might be, you will be limited to how fast your camera can output to that card.

Kinda like turning on a faucet and filling an 8 ounce glass of water. Then using that same faucet to fill a large bucket. The speed of the water coming out of the faucet will be the same no matter how fast the container can receive it.

Your camera's manual might tell you the information.

4. Glogarden

Glogarden Thread Starter

Many thanks to both replies. Great,I will now find out how fast a card my camera can cope with before I buy my next memory card.

5. ferrija1

ferrija1

If you're using a point and shoot, don't worry about memory card speed, as the image processor is going to be the real bottleneck in the system.

6. hewee

hewee

I know the card that came with my camera is slower then the Bigger MB I got when the camera. Then the last card I got was many times faster.
    Taking night time shots take longer then any others and it sure was nice having the faster card. I got the fastest card for my camera but now I bet there are even faster ones I can use as long as the camera will take the card.

7. mrss

mrss Guest

Don't be looking for a fast XD card. No such thing as XD is the slowest of all modern card technologies.

If your camera uses SD, look at that, but check your camera specs before you buy a 4G SDHC card because it may not work with the SDHC technology or the camera may need a firmware upgrade to be compatible.

8. hewee

hewee

You can go to a place that sells cameras and ask also to find out what will with your camera and then go another cheaper to but the card.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice