1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

which memory to buy??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by firemanbob28, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. firemanbob28

firemanbob28 Thread Starter

Hello for the 2nd time tonight. I am looking for 2gb memory for dual channel mode for a "BFG nforce 680i sli ddr2 800 socket 775 motherboard" the box says ddr2 pc2-4200/5300/6400 or(533/667/800). I contacted technical support for BFG to see if they had a list of compatible or tested memory that will work for their reference design nvidia board. They said any ddr2 800 should work. MY concern or problem is when researching what memory to buy on NewEgg. I've looked at corsair xms2 and corsair dominator and OCZ modules and in reading the customer reviews, EVERY other person has had problems, said its a piece of junk, DOA, will not run at posted specs, will not overclock, corsair's not using micron chips anymore, etc. etc. Is it them? that don't know what their doing? or is there that much flakyness with the memory business these days. I truly don't know which one to try. anyone out there in tech land that has a minute and some knowledge to share about what would be a good dual channel ddr2 800 memory to buy and wether I should pay attention to alot of the customer reviews would be very helpful to me at this moment of indecision in my life. thank you in advance for your help

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Ok, first of all, don't pay much attention to those reviews on Newegg. If you really start reading them, you'll find that most people who are having problems are people who probably shouldn't be messing with motherboards and memory to start with...

Now, since BFG doesn't issue a QVL for memory, you'll have to take a chance here. Since this is a Socket 775, the Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 with 5-5-5-12 timings has been proven to be reliable. Not in EVERY case, but I've read about a whole bunch of people using that RAM with all sorts of configurations of chipset on the 775 socket Intels and had success.

If you're going to overclock, get the DDR2 800. If you don't plan on it, DDR2 667 Corsair Value Select is fine.

The problem is that the 680i is really new, and not a lot of setups have been tested yet.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

telegramsam is right on the money and I would also stick to 667 ram for safety sake since you have no documentation to go by. And I agree I never read the Newegg reviews. they are meant to be helpful but my guess is the ones who write them most often are the ones who have trouble and should not be inside a pc case anyway.

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

I actually SAW somebody say they got three straight ASUS P5B boards in a row.

I've never SEEN a DOA Asus board. I'm sure it happens, but when a dude gets three "DOA"s of anything--even a PC Chips or AsRock, you got wonder what part of the program is really DOA...

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

ooh dude I have had 4 rma's on the same Asus board last year...one after another and have rma's about 6 others before I put a stop to my buying anything Asus for a year. I think they are in big trouble right now.

6. telegramsam

telegramsam

Really? I've heard there have been issues, but nothing like that. Were they just completely dead?

That's why I use Intel or MSI boards whenever I can. They do have problems of their own, however.

7. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

OMG! I heard a bunch of newbies playing around with stuff they don't have a clue what to do with. Then they like RMA it 20 times because they think it's the hardware. That must be bad luck right? Why isn't ASUS out of business? Because it's the kids trying to play with the adult toys in the store. I can see every-once-in-a-while a bad part on the board and it needs replaced but come on already.

newegg is full of that garbage. You are supposed to rate the product. If you got a bad one and you got it RMAed and the new one works awesomely you don't slam the product. Maybe take one star off but these idiots give a one star to it just for spite. Now I can see if the hardware is just flat out crap and is falling apart and nobody can fix it. Than slam that piece of garbage because it's garbage not for spite.

DO NOT LISTEN TO SOMEBODY WHO DOESN"T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING! It's easy to spot them. RMAed 5 motherboards and not one of them worked. Guess what? It's the moron who thinks it's the motherboard that is bad and forgets to trouble shoot everything else because he knows it's the motherbord because he read it on the internet. It's common sense.

I blame the hardware companies for not having a basic computer science test before they sell this stuff to the public.

Now to answer your question. Buy the RAM that is recommended by the manufacturer of the board. Don't ask people who didn't manufacture the board what to use ask the manufacturer.

8. firemanbob28

firemanbob28 Thread Starter

thank you to all who gave their advice. I think I'll get the xms2 800 and see how it goes.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice