1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which MOBO & case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cheese, Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cheese

cheese Thread Starter

WHich Mobo should i buy..

Albatron nForce2 Ultra 400 Motherboard for AMD Processors, Model KX18D PRO Retail

GIGABYTE nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "GA-7N400-L" -RETAIL

ABIT nForce2 SPP Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NF7" -RETAIL

and which case...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-144-042&depa=1&section=3

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-144-029&depa=1&section=3

I orignally posted this in reviews...but got into hardware so updated here.

2. shadowcat

shadowcat

3. cheese

cheese Thread Starter

Whats the difference between them? The 1 guy reviwing siad he wouldent trust the powersupply for some reason.

Also, the 1's reviewd dont say the SPP on them like the 1 i showed. Would there be a difference?

4. shadowcat

shadowcat

Price, basically. I forgot to add that I always buy a power supply from Antec or Enermax, even if the case comes with one, because of the brands' reliability. Generally, cases that comes with power supplies use really cheap ones and could cause shorts = burned PS, mobo, entire computer, etc.

I've learned the following things when I built my own computer:

- go with reliable power supply companies because that is the backbone of your computer.

- cases that come with power supplies tends to be cheaply made = soft metal that can be easily warped. I've been happy with my cheaply made Foxconn case because it looks cool :D More expensive cases are those that come without power supplies, like Lian Li or CoolerMaster. Then, there are totally custom jobs like the ones by casearts.com...

5. plschwartz

plschwartz

Cheese:
    Happy new year.

I see I got you bitten by the building bug. You seem to be a fast study and are doing your homework.

I I have a raidmax case the one with the window) and am very happy with it. It is solid w/o thin sharp metal (I loosened a piece of my thumb on a thin metal case!). It looks good the paint job is really like that on a car. Also came with two fans which is a good start I moved them to the front and got two lighted fans.

I agree with shadowcat that PS is very important and mostly under appreciated. I have a 420 enermax very happy with.

MB I got stung an a Gigabyte baord on K5 cpu so I have shied awaysince.
    As I said I like albatron which is an all chinese company I believe so their costs may be a fraction lower. I got thier boards early on when they were looking for market share. Now seem a wash.
    The Asus A7N8X Deluxe seems the gold standard but is an extra $30
    (see http://www6.tomshardware.com/column/20031204/index.html )

One caveat about MB reviews on-line . You never know with the little sites if they are completely honest :rolleyes:

Lots of luck

6. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx

the one case has a temp LCD if that matters, but other than that i see no difference. I also like the reviews of Abit(though my opinion on this is slight for i don't actaully own one)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/191471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice