1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

which MS office is good?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sureshsv2k, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sureshsv2k

sureshsv2k Thread Starter

Hi all,
    In my company around 40 systems are there . all are intel celeron with 128 ram and the mother board is intel 845. all the systems will access the excel files from the server simultanously. Which MS offfice i need to install to get maximum speed? right now am using windows xp pro lite.

Regards | Suresh

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Office2000 runs fine with XP. Of course more memory would help greatly. XP with 128 megs is going to be pretty slow regardless.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are you expecting multiple users to be working on the same Excel file at the same time? As far as I know all versions of MS-Excel will only allow one user at a time to have a given file open for editing. Not sure if multiple users can have the same file open as read only.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The version of Excel is irrelevant. Your concern should be with support and compatibility with the business needs. You do not want to install a 7 year old version of an application with minimal support that is not considered the industry standard if you'll be sharing files.

There's also the issue of licensing Office on 40 computers. Obviously you're looking at some type of volume license, and Microsoft only licenses the latest version with the option, sometimes, to run an older version, but I'd have serious doubts about the support of Office 2000.

It is possible to share Excel workbooks so multiple people can use them simultaneously. However, you also need to look at what the needs of the business here is with regards to collaboration. I don't know what your role is in IT at this company, but unless you were only asked to answer a specific question with regards to performance, you need to put more work into finding a viable solution.

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I stand corrected. :eek:
    Forgot about the sharing ability.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Good thing most people don't actually call Microsoft for support.

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I still love Office 2000. I am sitting here with 2007 and can't install it 'cause Disk 1 is actually a DVD and I don't have a DVD drive. Disk 2 is a CD. Go figure. Anyway, I love 2000, and still use it as my "default", especially when formatting documents.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So far I haven't found any customers that don't like it either. Anything included in the newer more expensive versions don't have any significant features they want to pay extra for. And they have never called Microsoft for support even when it was "supported".

9. caraewilton

caraewilton

If I may add my two cents worth. Just curious. Are your computers not very slow, if you are using only 128 mb of ram.

I am so glad my boss is never likely to see your post as I have just persuaded her to introduce an anual computer update whereby we replace 6 machines every year so that we dont get to out of date. Even so the turn around will be five years, but that is better than nothing.

As for licencing. I handle all that stuff, and multiple licences deffinately only applies to the latest version, will in South Africa anyway. This is really bad for me as it means I'll have to start installing Office 2007 as of next year. They sent really scarey notices via registered mail to me with regards to this topic.

As for no cool features in the newer versions. Will I did find one in 2003 which is most worthwhile. The little clipboard that pops up after you paste an object. At first it irritated me then I discovered it allows you to paste without formatting which is super as you no longer need the paste special option every other second!

Like I say, just a little commentry from the peanut gallary:)

10. Krash

Krash

I see the potential of this thread turning into a debate :p

Addressing Suresh's, the question I would ask is, which are the applications your users will use from the Office suite. If it is only Excel then you could get it as a stand alone application. The system reqs for Excel 2007 are detailed on this page

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA101668651033.aspx#12

Unfortunately 256Mb of Ram seems to the min. requirement.

I tried to pull up a pricelist for Office 2003 products, but no gain. Only Office 2007

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/FX101754511033.aspx

What this means is Microsoft does not sell the older versions anymore. You could probably buy retails versions in stores, but like DoubleHelix mentioned we are talking volume licenses.

Microsoft's support policy as per my knowledge goes like this --> Support for the latest product + 2 legacy (older) versions, which rules out Office 2000. If not right now, MS will pull out support for Office 2000, which not only means Phone/email/chat support but updates.

This is how I look at it. I love motorcycles and have a vintage motor in my garage. I commute to work everyday on one that is not more than 5 years old. Its your call.

11. sureshsv2k

sureshsv2k Thread Starter

Actually the server have 1 gb ram only the client system have 128 mb ram. the ram willnot increased by the company. so i need to get a good solution without putting additional ram.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you only need to access Excel files, and money does seem to be important, another option is to use Open Office. It's free and can read and write Excel and Word files just fine.

http://www.openoffice.org/

13. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    However, it doesn't look like it can yet support sharing an open spreadsheet file among several users at the same time. I believe that may be one of sureshsv2k's requirements.

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=8811.

14. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Funny, I took the question as which Suite and not which Version. As far as the Suite's go, mostly it is just which programs you would like to come with it. There are some slight differences in Office 2003 between the Professional and Home editions besides the programs included, mostly to do with external data and XML.

As far as Versions go, I am very partial to Office 2003. I use it mostly because of Excel and Outlook. I think the Outlook made a huge advance in 2003 and I love the junk filtering capabilities. There are a few things added to Office 2003, not many at all. I feel that Outlook was the largest change for the new version. It was so unlike Microsoft to release two versions so close to each other (2002, aka XP, and 2003).

So IMHO I'm a Windows XP Professional with Office 2003 Professional kind-a-guy. :)

Btw, make sure you look into corporate licensing. And AFAIK, Windows XP alone requires 128 MB of RAM. I've ran it - along with Office 2003 - but you can't run anything else very well before it will crash. I would recommend at least 256, probably 512 MB of RAM.

HTH

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

And that would be the case with MS Office as well. So nothing changed there other than the price for Open Office is free.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice