1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which NTFS is best?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Wet Chicken, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken Thread Starter

We are having problems installing WinXP Pro, so we wanted to format the partition in NTFS. Our partitioning program is asking us which NTFS we want to use.

Which one of the following is the best one to choose for Windows XP Pro?

• NTFS, HPFS (7h)
    • NTFS Volume Set (87h)

2. -bOuNcYoNe-

-bOuNcYoNe-

Which partitiioning program are you using? ;)

3. Wet Chicken

Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 ;)

I have used a lot of partitioning programs, but this one is by far the best! (y)

It blows away Partition Magic (but it will simulate PM if you want it to) :D

One of the best software companies that I have seen in the last 20 years. Everything they make is gold! I'm looking forward to getting their TrueImage 8.0 this week (y)

I just need to know the best NTFS to use for Win XP... :cool:

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Use the bottom one. One question, why are you not using xp setup to partition and format the disk for you? You can create any size partition you want with setup and no problem knowing which file system to use.

5. Wet Chicken

Been there, tried that, but it is NOT working :(

Windows XP setup gives you three choices;

• Press Enter to install Windows XP.
    • Press C to create a Windows XP partition.
    • Press D to delete a partition.

No matter which one you choose, or what order you try them in, Windows XP keeps saying "Windows XP cannot complete setup until you make a XP compatible partition...blah...blah...blah..." :(

It just keeps sending you around in circles...

I've been trying to install it for the last five days. I've tried everything that I can think of but still no luck :cool:

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tried a zero fill of the drive? You can do this with the hd mgf's utility. Sometimes if there was a different file system on the drive before such as a linux install, it can lead to problems installing xp or 2k.

7. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

8. -bOuNcYoNe-

-bOuNcYoNe-

NTFS Volume set would be the one you would want as HPFS is a little outdated as for your HDD prob is this a blank hdd or did it have a previous os installed??

Might wanna try a LLF on your Hardrive try to get the specific software for your hard drive cause generics can wreak havoc with some Hard Drives..

Good Luck ;)

9. Wet Chicken

This is an upgrade from WinME. We were on the phone with Microsoft for over two hours, and they told us it was caused from using Partition Magic (n)

Seems PM causes something called "Drive Overlay" which windows does not like :(

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice