1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which Nvidia Drivers/Forceware/Detonators should I try?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Audity01, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Audity01

Audity01 Thread Starter

I'm having the old nv4_disp, 0xEA, infinite loop BSOD and I've tried lots of fixes but to no avail. Here's what's happened:

I bought a new mobo, gfx and RAM (see below) and everything worked fine with the latest drivers. That was until I installed my first resource intensive game, HL2 and CS:Source. HL2 looked dodgy from the start with colours mixed up. I tried CS:Source and after about 5 minutes I started seeing lines appearing, then entire blocks of the map were going black and just generally distorting, then finally everything climaxed into an abstract mess of lines and blocks and the PC froze. I figured it couldn't be a heat issue as I'd had problems immediately with HL 2.

I booted up several times but I couldn't get past the Windows XP (SP3) boot screen, which still showed signs of distortion with dotted lines and stuff. I left it for about 15 minutes and then, as if by magic, it booted normally. Fixed...or so I thought.

About a month later (a few days ago) I was on msn with the emoticon menu open when it started messing up. One emoticon started repeating itself and travelling left and dots and speckles appeared on the screen. I restarted to find the mobo logo screen had vertical dotted lines and the windows boot screen was distorted. I then got a BSOD saying "nv4_disp got stuck in an infinite loop". I could boot into safe mode to uninstall drivers but whether drivers were installed or not I still had the distortion on boot. I've tried totally wiping all NVIDIA display drivers from my system and used driver cleaner to delete all traces but the boot screens are always distorted now. I can't work that out.

When NVIDIA drivers are installed I can't get past the boot screen. When I log into safe mode and try and install drivers it looks like it's working then the screen goes blank, which it normally does for a moment, but this time it never came back on. Instead, I just get a black screen with a white flashing underscore in the top left corner and I have to restart. Although I can boot into safemode no problem with drivers installed. VGA mode, however, didn't work either.

I know how varied the causes are for this type of error but from what I've described can anyone tell if this is a software or hardware issue?

If it's a driver issue, can you help me find some different drivers to try? I'll try any. They don't have to be official ones. I looked on the NVIDIA driver archive but I can't figure out which ones are suitable for my machine.

Windows XP (Performance Edition w/ SP3)
    Intel Dual-Core E5200 @ 2.5GHz
    GeForce 7050 / nForce 610i Mobo
    GeForce 8600 GT
    2GB of RAM

Thanks in advance

2. Sequal7

Sequal7

To uninstall Nvidia you can try drive cleaner;
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Does you motherboard have on board video? If it does, try enabling it and boot using it to see what happens.

The card you have requires the release 178 drivers;
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_178.13_whql.html

The errors may also be because of your Motherboard, did you upgrade your BIOS or the chipset drivers as well?
    What manufacturer is the 610i board made by, have you tried their bios upgrade?

3. Audity01

Audity01 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried driver cleaner and cab cleaner but it hasn't made a difference to my problem. I have also tried the latest 178 drivers numerous times but to no avail.

My mobo does have on board graphics but when that is installed and the 8600 GT isn't the screen goes black after the windows loading screen.

The mobo is very new so would upgrading the BIOS still be an appropriate thing to try? I installed the drivers I got with the chipset so they're recent if not the latest.

Thanks

4. br1ng3r

br1ng3r

5. Audity01

Audity01 Thread Starter

Thanks br1ng3r, I tried them but unfortunately it caused the same issue as the other drivers. After the Windows loading screen it just goes black and stays black until I reboot. I have no idea about this issue so if anyone can suggest anything else I'd be grateful.

Thanks

6. br1ng3r

br1ng3r

Hmmm its starting to sound more hardware than software, have you tried removing and re-seating the gpu. Or.. if possible do you have another card you can try, at least that will help to eliminate a couple more possabilities.

7. Audity01

Audity01 Thread Starter

I was hoping it wouldn't be hardware but I'll open 'er up later and have a look.

Thanks

8. Sequal7

Sequal7

What BIOS version do you have, compare it to the manufacturers release, if it's different then upgrade. The new motherboard doesn't mean the drivers or your bios is new.

9. Audity01

Audity01 Thread Starter

Ok I checked my BIOS version and found it was 3.4 whereas the latest version is 3.5. Is it worth an upgrade? I don't have a floppy drive installed and I can't figure out whether MSI support non-floppy upgrades for AMI boards.

My board is MSI P6NGM-L v3.4. Any idea whether it's possible to flash without a floppy?

Thanks

10. br1ng3r

br1ng3r

If you go direct to the MSI main site you can download direct from there. I just looked up your board on there in the Intel Platform section. And yes the new Bios Update 3.5 (2008-07-15), is there. Again i think it will be worth downloading, maybe there is a tweak in it that will either help or eliminate the problem.

11. Audity01

Audity01 Thread Starter

Ok I've downloaded it but I've never upgraded a BIOS before and I'm not sure how to do it without a floppy. I was wondering if MSI support non-floppy BIOS upgrades but I can't seem to find anything about it on their site.

Is it possible to use a flash drive or a CD boot disk?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice