1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which O/S Is More Stable--Windows 98SE, ME or XP?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by GoJoAGoGo, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    I'm presently using Windows ME, and in my opinion it's not a very stable O/S, lots of errors, files disappearing ... etc. Is anyone with Windows ME experiencing these kinds or any type of on going glitches? I was wondering, does Windows 98SE or XP have alot of glitches? I want to change to another O/S but don't want to change if I'll experience more glitches. Anyones opinion will be much appreciated....Thanks ;)

2. IgneousPrime

IgneousPrime

Personally. I always liked Windows XP. System Recovery and stuff...always helped me! :D And less errors too.

3. n2gun

n2gun

I'm running Windows XP Home and have found it to very stable. I was running 98se before and had some instability problems with it. Usually ended up reformatting and reinstalling every few months.

With XP the only problem I had was my own stupid mistake.:D

4. Gary R

Gary R

SE ... DEFINITELY

5. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    Gary R:

Sounds like you are satisfied with 98 SE. 0 updates in over 2 yrs. is very impressive. I'm constancely getting updates for ME. I've reinstalled ME about 8 times in less than 2 yrs because of lost files and other nightmares, and then I have download all the updates again. I will definely consider 98SE if I decide to send ME to the Recycle Bin. I also agree that DirectX 8 or 9 is a virus, not an upgrade. I had DirectX 8.1 and it constancely used up all my RAM and caused my system to freeze. I was able to uninstall 8.1 and reinstalled 7.0 which is an excellent version, if you can get a hold of a copy. I was abale to get a copy off a video games cd that I have. Thanks for your input. :cool:

6. NetEngineer

NetEngineer

Windows2000 or NT 4 if you need stabilty & speed instead of bells & whistles....

7. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    NetEngineer:

Thanks for your reply. Isn't Windows 2000 and NT formatted for businesses? I have heard that 2000 was a good O/S but didn't consider it because of the business format. I use my PC strictly for personel home use.

8. NetEngineer

NetEngineer

That's what I meant by "if you don't need the bells & whistles". If you don't...then NT4 would be the way to go. Windows2000 Professional is suitable for office & home use....and very stable....

9. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

For me its, Win98SE definitely. Win ME, 200 and XP have been installed on some friends' machines and all of them slowly reverted back to Win98SE after some problem or the other.

10. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

I have found Windows 98 to be very unstable.
    Windows 2000 works great for me.

If I had to choose, I'd select Windows 95 over any Windows98 release.

I have friends who have had stability problems with ME.
    LMAO

I haven't seen XP yet.

11. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

In Sanskrit, there is a saying which reads tunde tunde matir bhinna which means there will be as many opinions as there will be heads. :D

GoJoAGoGo, you should have started a poll here. That would have given you a clearer picture on opinions.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice