1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

which of these 3 specs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by swvista, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swvista

swvista Thread Starter

Ok, i've enquired about having a computer built and have been sent 3 possible specs. I want people who know what their on about to voice their opinions please.

The computer is just for day to day use, however I do like a bit of flight simulator so I want a good everyday type machine. Are these short-form-factor style computers too small to cool ventilate properly?

1) ASUS P6M4A3000 - £400

AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz,
    2GB DDR3 1333MHz,
    500GB 16MB cache SATA HDD,
    22X DVDRW Dual Layer SATA,
    Direct X 10 Graphics with HDMI out,
    3in1 Card reader, Wireless-N150
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

2) SHUTTLE SHU-SG41J1 - £465

Intel Dual Core E6500 2.9GHz,
    2GB DDR3 1333MHz,
    22X DVDRW Dual Layer,
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500,
    Wireless-N150
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

SHUTTLE SHU-SN78SH7 - £475

AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz,
    2GB DDR3 1333MHz,
    22X DVDRW Dual Layer,
    Geforce 8200 DX10 Graphics with HDMI,
    All in One Card Reader,
    Wireless-N150
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Choice 3 appears to be the only one with a discrete GPU... so for any gaming it appears to be the best without getting full details or a link.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Geforce 8200 is integrated graphics as well. Depending on the Flight Sim it may not run on any of them. And if they are all small form factor cases then upgradeablility will be very limited, you won't be able to add a graphics card because it won't have the room and the power supply won't be able to handle anything decent nor will it be upgradeable due to size as well. And yes cooling would then be an issue too. Even if something breaks like the motherboard or power supply is costs more to fix then if you had a regular mid size ATX case.

Based on the specs provided the Asus is the best deal, and the specs are fine for office/web use.

4. swvista

swvista Thread Starter

Thanks for that Triple 6,

I was asked to email the 'builder' a link to something im along the lines of being after. I used this as my benchmark;

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-slimline-s5306uk-04144127-pdt.html

I think he may have interpreted that as meaning I want a smaller case/ SFF. To be honest I would want a regular sized tower just for peace of mind (cooling/ repairs)

I thought the same about the ASUS as well.

I am coming from a 2007 ACER 5520G laptop with an NVIDEA g/card. I am pretty sure it was model '4500'- it played FS2002 well enough, it struggled with FSX when the graphics were set more than halfway. '8200' must be of decent quality though?

Thanks guys.

5. swvista

swvista Thread Starter

By the way those posted specifications are all I have as well.

Should I request a full-spec sheet to post up on here?

This is just at the 'possibility' stage, I could get the builder to interchange parts? Also could all of these specs be put in a regular sized tower or are some of these specs specially for SFF's?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    FS2002 and FSX are completely different, FSX is incredibly demanding and needs both a very fast CPU and very good GPU to perform well, otherwise it struggles.

The Acer 5520G came with several video cards, some of them possibly better then the Geforce 8200.

The top Asus system likely has a Geforce or Radeon integrated GPU, both are OK for basic gaming at low settings opr older games, Intel graphics are the bottom of the pile.

The HP system for office type work is the best deal, for gaming its a tad worse then the systems with the AMD CPU's and NVIDIA or AMD graphics.

7. swvista

swvista Thread Starter

''AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz
    2GB DDR3 1333MHz

^How good is this? I know its not going to be the best ever but is that pretty good for the price range im in?

Also would anyone care to guess how much £ the shuttle cases are putting ontop of the components? The ASUS barebone is also in one of those 'current ACER' style mini tower. Money can be saved here by asking for a regular case?

Finally, ''Direct X 10 Graphics with HDMI out'' - will it play slower games eg. SIMS well enough?

Thanks

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It should be OK for The Sims, given its an modern AMD system and AMD systems have OK integrated graphics.

These system are barebones systems, he's just finishing them off with a CPU, RAM, HDD, etc.
    See here: http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...8SH7+Barebones+System-+Black+?productId=38285
    And here: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...J1+PLUS+XPC+Barebone+Mini+PC+?productId=40393
    And here: http://skinflint.co.uk/eu/a524200.html

So the Asus has Radeon HD 3000 graphics. The Radeon HD 3000 and Geforce 8200 are pretty equal, but only OK for basic gaming.

The CPU is an entry level but modern dual core, plenty for the average internet/office user and for some gaming.

If you want a different case, he'll pretty much have to start over as the combo's he's using are motherboard, case, and PSU.

9. swvista

swvista Thread Starter

Hi again folks,

This is related to the above albeit with the focus not on components. I've tried using the search function but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I've been in contact with the builder and im pretty sure I dont want a SFF now but a regular tower. He has linked me to this a possible chassis for the build.

http://www.aone.co.uk/ProdInfo.ASP?ProductID=1182

-At first glances it is regular sized but the dimensions are as follows Dimensions (mm):(L x W x H) 395 x 170 x 355.

Using my method of using fingers and 6" ruler I concluded that although bigger than the PC WORLD HP linked earlier in this thread, it still wasnt particularly big. I went to Maplins today (A UK computer component chain of stores) armed with a tape measure and I found a couple of other towers roughly this size. However most towers were slightly taller and were longer. My questions are;

i) Is this a tower? (or is it SFF?)
    ii) On the premise it is a 'true' tower, would being slightly smaller considerably affect upgrades/ repairability/ ventilation?

Thanks guys.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its a standard Micro-ATX case, it'll take a standard ATX size power supply and standard micro-ATX motherboard, which are the most common in the average PC. ATX would be the bigger size and also takes a standard ATX size power supply but can take either an ATX size board or a micro-ATX board. ATX is more for the high-end, micro-ATX is fine for most everyone else. The micro-ATX size is OK if you don't plan to add a lot of components to the system; ie. more then two hard drives or more then 2 or 3 add-on cards, adding a video card and even a PCI card to that case shouldn't be a problem.

Here's a Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroATX

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/930591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice