1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

which of these specs to go with please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sam joyce, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sam joyce

sam joyce Thread Starter

I want a basic graphic design desktop for £400, to run illustrator indesign and photoshop.
    I have windows xp sp2 and eventually want to add a sound card for music and possibly a second drive later
    I have been advised novatech are a good company to supply computers and have seen these specs below on their site, but no mention of mother board? also a price from dell direct which has also been advised. I will get moniter as seperate element not included in this budget and I have operating system. Sound card and second drive I will get later on.thanks if you can cast your eye over these specs and tell me what you think.

novatech,,,
    ----------------------------------------
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
    2GB memory
    320GB hard drive
    DVD writer
    NVIDIA 8500GS 512Mb graphics
    Midi ATX case
    System price
    £351.32
    inc vat
    -----------------------------------------
    as above but,,,,,,,,
    500GB hard drive
    NVIDIA 9500GT 512Mb graphics
    £386.57
    ----------------------------------------
    .......and heres a spec direct from dell

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 processor (3.00GHz, 1333MHz, 6MB cache)
    Specifications - Base
    256MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 3450 graphics card
    Specifications - Video Card
    Memory
    2048MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    Specifications - Memory
    Hard Drive
    320GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    Specifications - Hard Drive
    Optical Devices
    DVD+/-RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)
    Specifications - Optical Devices
    .....£379.
    thanks sam

2. Classics

Classics

-The specs are almost identical for both computers with the exception of the Graphics Card.
    -I would not worry about upgrading the graphics on the first one if you don't plan to play games.
    -320GB will probably not be enough space if you plan on saving lots of high resolution pictures and/or graphics (if it is for professional use).
    -The Novatech is going to have a smaller case, if this makes any difference to you.

I would say go for the Novatech for the lesser price (and because I'm a Nvidia fan boy :))

3. sam joyce

sam joyce Thread Starter

nice one classics!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice