1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

which one Is the better?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Josh508, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Josh508

Josh508 Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I came across two computers at the local dump. They both are HP Compaq's and seem to work fine. Ones a dc 51000 and the others an dc 5000. My question is: How can I tell which one Is the better pick? (performance and features)? Or could I make one mega computer out of them both? I don't have much money, so this was a good find. Thanks for any help -Josh-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if they both work
    Then what windows version are they running

goto control panel>system
    That will tell you how much memory and how much ram is installed

post back a
    Tech Guy configuration
    http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe
    for each machine

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

From what I can find online, the 5100 has the newer chipset [915 vs the 865 for the 5000] Both came with xp so you would have to load an os that is still supported.

In short, I doubt it makes much difference. See which one has a larger hd, more memory, etc.

4. Josh508

Josh508 Thread Starter

They both say Windows XP professional..If thats the windows version? One has a DVD player. I will try to go to control panel
    and see how much memory and ram is installed. .Its funny because I think there both better than my current computer..Thanks for the help

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do understand that xp is no longer supported. As such, it will not receive any security updates.

6. Josh508

Josh508 Thread Starter

No I dident know that..should I not use it? or can I fix it?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need to install an os that is supported ie win7, win8 or linux. With such old hardware, your only real option is to install linux on the system. There are linux distros that are made for old hardware; one such distro is lubuntu.

8. Josh508

Josh508 Thread Starter

Will a Mini USB WiFi Wireless Adapter work, if thay dont have WiFi?

9. trogdo

trogdo

Yep, I have a tiny old Edimax wi-fi dongle, it works on every single machine I tried it on.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice