1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which one is the bottleneck?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ClickHappy, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ClickHappy

ClickHappy Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 4020 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6370M, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 164684 MB, Free - 22453 MB; D: Total - 290244 MB, Free - 84997 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., K52JT
    Antivirus: None

It says I have 8 processors, but I have a quad core... It says that is has "hyperthreading".
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 runs at 15 FPS, even on the lowest settings you can go. I want to find out which of the hardware devices is bottlenecking the performance. Should I get 8GB of RAM? Will that even help?

2. olryst

olryst

4GB of RAM is plenty.

Your HD 6370M is a bit weak to say the least and games are mostly GPU (grahics card) dependent.

3. ClickHappy

So is there anything I can do? If I got the best graphics card in the world, which of my devices would become the bottleneck?

4. olryst

olryst

Depends if the graphics in your laptop is upgradable.

The mobile versions of graphics cards tend to be less pwoerfull then there desktop counterparts.

You could also check if your laptop has the external graphics card port.

5. ClickHappy

Ok So if we knew that the graphics card was NOT the bottleneck, what would be the next bottleneck?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The graphics card IS the bottleneck and it cannot be upgraded in that laptop. The CPU and RAM are more than adequate for the game.

7. ClickHappy

Hypothetically,
    Ok. If I had a desktop computer. With the best graphics card in the world. and I had the processor thats in my laptop above, with 4GB of RAM. Which one would be the one that would hypothetically slow the computer down? The RAM, or the processor? and let's say I was running Crysis 2 on maxed out settings.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice