1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which one should I choose?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by akira77, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. akira77

akira77 Thread Starter

right now, i have an ATI Technologies, Inc. 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X. My Windows XP has 128 ram and 400 mghz. Ive got an AMD K6 processor. So, can upgrading my graphics drive improve how well it works? and if so, how do i do so. Im 15, so bear with.

So far, ive been to ATI's website, went to drivers and software section, and saw 4 available "products" to download:

Radeon family

Rage 128 Pro Family

Rage 128 Family

Rage Pro Family

which one should i download, if any at all?

2. suesman

suesman

I'm assuming you mean 128megs of system ram. If you were to add more memory you'd notice a major difference in performance overall. Also assuming it uses PC133 memory & it's not that expensive at all theses days.

I really don't know alot about the ATI drivers as I haven't used one in many years.

3. RSM123

RSM123

If you download new drivers you might for example see certain differences like games that previously crashed might be more stable. Are you having such stability problems at the moment ? Or do you just find games are slower than you would like ?

Realistically an increase in performance - game speed, resolution, etc would only be a realistic expectation if you opt for a better graphics setup .... which of course costs money, and more Ram. Have you a budget for upgrading ?

4. akira77

akira77 Thread Starter

nope, im poor

so, how does updating drivers work?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    "3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X" so the "Rage Pro Family" drivers should be the right ones.

As someone who has run XP with 128MB of RAM for some time, I will tell you up-ing that will help a lot. I now have 384Mb of RAM and the computer runs so much better, easily twice as fast -everywhere.

The 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X by todays standards are near useless. If you're using XP drivers for the card, then you'll notice a nice difference in some games if you install the ATI drivers.

Also update to DirectX 9.0b.

6. RSM123

RSM123

If you don't already have it you might like to download this utility :

http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32

AIDA32 System Utility (get the Enterprise Edition from the site linked to.)

Once installed - Run the program > click System > click Summary .... and you'll get a detailed profile of all components in your pc. Look for the entry for Graphics and you will see it enables you to search for and download newer drivers direct from the manufacturers website.

Some people prefer to uninstall existing drivers before installing newer versions - but you should be ok to download and insdtall over the top.

Though as a safeguard - once you have downloaded the correct drivers, reboot into Safe Mode and run the driver install. That will prevent other background programs running which might interfere.

Safe Mode -

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Any more questions / info needed just post back for others to help you out.

Edit - if you want to follow Triple6's suggestion you can get Direct X 9 Here :

http://www.microsoft.com/directx/

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I personally have noticed a nice improvement with Directx 9 installed even though I have a DX 7 card - both in speed and quality. You by no means have to install DX9, your card is a DX6 card I think or older. Some people have had a bad experience with DX9

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice