1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which one?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by guitarist968, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guitarist968

guitarist968 Thread Starter

I don't know if this is the right forum, but everyone here is so helpful I'm going to ask anyways.

I have cable internet on my network at home. I've noticed that it gets slow often and sometimes really bad. Some friends said DSL is much faster and more stable. If this is true, I will switch over right away. Is DSL better than cable?

Also, I work at home and my company is very strict on using dial-up. Can I still use dial-up if the DSL is on the line?

Thanks.

2. BillC

BillC

Actually it depends on where you live, how far you are from the DSL switching box, the age of the equipment, etc. In other words, it really depends. I will say that the DSL is more likely to be consistent in speed, but I'm not sure if it will be consistently faster or slower than cable. Not much help, huh?

I believe you can still use dial-up if set up properly.

3. guitarist968

Yeah, you are right about dial-up, I called and asked Verizon. My cable company is Comcast. I have noticied that the modem will start blinking a lot and I will have to unplug and replug it back into the wall. This gets really annoying because it happens like once a day so I have to walk into the other room and do a power cycle.

Are there any other suggestions on which is better?

4. yellow_grrl

yellow_grrl

Yes you can still use dial-up.
    i have a dsl connection, and recieve a great consistant speed.
    i think you will only truely know for your case if it will be better through trial... i have no problems with lag or anything on mine. ;)

5. guitarist968

Well I tested my connection speed on DSLreports.com. The download speed was 1603kbps, and the upload speed was 224kbps. Transfer rate was 195.7kb/sec.

Is this a good connection?

My friend that lives like 2 blocks away has DSL and I was wondering if I tested his connection, would it be similar to what I would get?

Thanks.

6. guitarist968

And as far as my modem problem with always doing a power cycle, do you think a new modem would help? Or is it the connection?

7. yellow_grrl

yellow_grrl

well thats a good way to check it out, have him go to dslreports.com and get him to test his pc out, and let ya kno the results.. from there you can do a comparison.

8. guitarist968

ok, i will give it a try. but about the power cycles with my cable modem, what do you think?

9. yellow_grrl

yellow_grrl

my dsl connection recieves 1503kbps download, and 233kbps upload....
    for your modem, when it starts blinking is the reason u do a power cycle becuz it interfers with your connection? (like causes you to disconnect?)

10. guitarist968

yeah, my connection will either be much slower than dial-up or i will lose the connection altogether. so i have to crawl under my desk in the other room (cause i am always on the other computer in my bedroom) and unplug it, wait a minute, then plug it back in. this will fix the connection.

also, the modem is very sensitive. i will barely touch it and the lights will go crazy and my connection will be lost.

11. yellow_grrl

yellow_grrl

well my guess is that you cood have a defective piece of equipment on ur hands, id take and get a new one... especially given the sensitivity... hope that helps ya somewhat ;)

12. guitarist968

Well I got Comcast coming out Tuesday to give me a new modem. I'll go try my friends DSL connection. Thanks for your help!!

13. yellow_grrl

yellow_grrl

No Prob.. Thats what we'r here for :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice