1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which OS should I purchase? XP or Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kaylajf3, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kaylajf3

kaylajf3 Thread Starter

I'm looking to purchase a Dell Studio laptop for personal and school use. I have never owned a laptop, but tried the Studio in a store recently and really liked it. I currently share a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop computer with my family, which I built last summer on the Dell website. I chose XP as the OS, since we have had XP on our family desktop computers since about 2003.

I have heard not-so-great things about Vista, and I guess I'm just used to XP, so I am very skeptical about choosing Vista to be installed on my new laptop. I spoke to a Dell sales rep who told me that XP "is not the smart choice" and that in 5 days, Microsoft will no longer be supporting XP. I wanted to post on here to seek some advice on Vista vs. XP. Has Vista improved/removed all of the bugs? Or is XP still the way to go?

Since I am so used to XP, there is a way to change Vista's display so that it looks and operates like XP, correct? Just like you can change XP's settings to look like Classic Windows?

Also, does anyone know anything about Dell's system colors? I am looking for solid black, and the Dell Studio 15 has an XP option, but a "Black Chainlink" color option. I believe this color has a chainlink design on it, though the rep insisted it is solid black. The Studio 17 is available in "Jet Black," which I know is solid, but is only available in Vista. Thus, my dilemma. I know color may be a ridiculous thing to care about, but I don't want "chain links" on my laptop. That reason alone is why I may just go ahead and get the 17 with Vista. I have heard the Studio 17's drivers will not support XP whatsoever.

Please share your opinions on XP vs. Vista so I can possibly purchase my laptop before Dell's "10 Days of Deals" for summer ends. Thank you!

2. vicks

vicks

I think if it is at all possible, I would wait until mid July when the Mfg. will be given the okay by MS to offer coupons for the new system, which will replace Vista. It will be available sometime in October installed on new computers. It is supposed to have the best of both Vista/XP, and not supposed to have some of the bugs that Vista has been noted for.
    Vicks

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Buy it after Friday with Vista. Make sure that the free upgrade to Windows 7 is included.

Yes, I think you can make Vista look more or less like Windows 98 ("classic") but why would you want to? You are, or are going to be a student? Even if you are studying history you may as well learn the latest operating system(s).

Three years from now pretty much all students and all personal PC owners will be using Vista and Windows 7 and talking about the next Microsoft bloat. XP will still be used on older computers and by businesses that cannot afford to upgrade and retrain everybody.

Don't accept anything less than 2 GB RAM and a dual-core CPU and a graphics card that will score at least 3 or higher in Vista's scoring system.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Get Vista. You can make it look and act like XP or even 98 if you want. You can turn off any features you don't want. Change is hard for some people, but whatever you may have heard about Vista, it is a solid OS and runs well. It is also customizable, supports the latest hardware, and is something people should get used to if they don't want to have to adapt to an even more different OS when the next version comes out.

5. kaylajf3

kaylajf3 Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. By no means would I want my OS to look like Windows 98, but perhaps I would want it to look like XP since I am so used to using it.

Should I go ahead and purchase it with Vista, or should I wait until next month? Do you think Dell will indeed offer coupons for the new Microsoft OS?

Thanks.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If that article I linked is accurate you can find out Saturday. Dell, and all the OEMs, will surely offer a free upgrade from Vista to Windows 7; the only question is when.

You should probably make your main decision on when to buy by when you want it and when you can get the price you want, as Dell's specials come and go all the time. That article also said that we will be able to pre-buy Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade for $50 soon; if that's accurate then a free upgrade is worth $50.

7. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

The only way I would go Vista is with the promise that it will soon be Windows7. The RC I'm using now is absolutely rock solid, is already much more compatible with several software programs I use (some are even Microsoft products) than they are on Vista, its much faster and responsive than Vista...it has a few prickly hangovers from Vista but for the most part its night and day. It's much more in line with the performance aspects we've come to expect with XP on a multi-core system with many GUI enhancements that make some sense and have some wow-effect from time to time. A lot of laptops and more importantly recently, all netbooks run like crap with Vista, so the hope is that Win7 will be a great OS to run on the netbooks and mobile-compromised laptops.

8. stormyonell

stormyonell

I have a Studio 17 series with Vista. I did not like Vista to begin with but since Sp1 I have had no issues.I run several 16 bit programs that gave me trouble in the beginning but since the SP 1 release they work just fine. I actually run Access 2.0 on it without issue.
    I do like my Studio. I have 4GB of RAM, the processor is Duo Core although I can't remember the specs right now. I have a 512 MB Nvidia card as well.
    It runs great, even for online gaming and Photoshop. I love the brightness of the screen.
    True, you cannot run Xp on it. I have heard of non supported drivers that will work with the hardware in Xp and planned to give that a shot if Vista became unbearable but I see no reason not to keep Vista.

Oh, and mine is the most beautiful color pink :)

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I wonder if you could still get a Dell with XP next month ....
    And the free upgrade coupon for Windows 7 ???

10. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Even I was surprised when Microsoft extended the so-called downgrade to XP option to include Windows 7 and yet more time. I thought surely the end of that demand cycle must be near but apparently o'contrare'!

I think they'll extend coupons for XP systems as well because aren't they going for a bit of a premium to Vista already? Microsoft is probably making a nickel or two more on every XP system sold now than Vista so why not? If that's not true then maybe not since XP'ers who know why they still want XP on a new system aren't likely to upgrade in the near future anyway.

11. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

If you can wait till the coupon then wait, if not...dont be scared of vista
    I didnt like it at first because I was familiar with xp...i was going back and forth....ended up with vista as the main OS.
    The more you use it the more you will like it.
    The trick to a speedy vista is dont shutdown...use hibernate
    Vista will run for weeks..its usually an update or a program install that requires a reboot.
    Xp while solid..will need a reboot once in a while to get the speed back,or if an application refuses to cooperate.
    Vista isnt perfect,but is good,it got a bad reputation in the beginning
    people were installing on underpowered hardware for one thing,causing a slow experience.
    Second,software wasnt as readily available as is now.
    Third there were a couple bugs...they have been ironed out for a long time now

12. kaylajf3

kaylajf3 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I just checked Dell's website and they are now offering the Windows 7 upgrade when you purchase *select* PCs. The offer is available whether you choose Vista or XP as the OS on your new computer.

However, it turns out that the laptop I want, the Studio 17, is not eligible. Go figure.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I'm chatting with a Dell rep at the moment, but it is taking quite a long time for him to answer my question as to why that laptop is not one of the eligible ones. I guess I'll wait until mid-July or even early August to see if they offer the upgrade on the Studio 17. If not, I suppose I'll just purchase it with Vista and buy the Windows 7 disk later.

13. kaylajf3

kaylajf3 Thread Starter

Can anyone else decipher what this agent told me? He says that it is just an "online error" and that the upgrade is indeed available with the Studio 17. However, it says clearly on the website (http://www.dell.com/windows7 - which I provided to him) that only certain PCs are eligible. Furthermore, when I go to actually customize/build the Studio 17 (which is not listed as eligible), nowhere does it say that the upgrade is included. However, when I go to build the Studio 15 (which is listed as eligible), the upgrade is an option.

Here's my conversation with the Dell agent:

5:05:32 PM Me: I am interested in purchasing a Studio 17 laptop, but wanted the option of an upgrade to Windows 7. However, I see that laptop is not eligible for the upgrade. Can you tell me why that is or when it will be eligible?
    5:07:10 PM Dell Agent: Let me check that for you
    5:07:19 PM Me: Thank you very much.
    5:16:15 PM Dell Agent: When you are Buying a PC Running:- • Windows Vista Home Premium • Windows Vista Business • Windows Vista Ultimate
    5:16:40 PM Dell Agent: You Are Eligible to Receive:- • Windows 7 Home Premium • Windows 7 Professional • Windows 7 Ultimate
    5:17:15 PM Dell Agent: Customers buying systems with us from June 26, 2009 to 31 Jan 31, 2010 will be eligible to get Free upgrade DVD to windows 7 provided they have to pay shipping and handling fees will be charged.
    5:19:45 PM Me: Well, it says on the website that only certain systems are eligible
    5:19:57 PM Me: And the laptop I want is the Studio 17, which is not eligible for the upgrade
    5:23:50 PM Dell Agent: It would be applied on that
    5:26:29 PM Me: When I try to build the Studio 17 and chose the OS it does not show the upgrade offer. The only option available is Vista Home Premium
    5:27:41 PM Dell Agent: When you customize any laptop with Vista Premium it will apply
    5:29:48 PM Me: http://www.dell.com/windows7 It says right there that only certain systems are eligible, and the Studio 17 is not listed. I would just like to know why it is not eligible and when it will be.
    5:31:21 PM Dell Agent: As per the info which I have it says it would apply
    5:32:14 PM Me: If I purchase Vista on the Studio 17 it will still apply even though it says nowhere on the website that the Studio 17 is eligible?
    5:32:56 PM Dell Agent: May be they didn't update online
    5:33:11 PM Dell Agent: Its an online error
    5:33:41 PM Me: Okay. Thank you for your time.
    5:34:41 PM Dell Agent: Any thing else I can assist you with today ?
    5:34:45 PM Me: No, thanks.
    5:35:07 PM Dell Agent: Feel free to contact me for further assistance by email or call (toll free)
    5:35:12 PM Dell Agent: Have a wonderful day!
    5:35:24 PM Me: You too. Thanks.

After he said it's an online error, I just gave up. I feel like he doesn't know what he's talking about. If so, he is the second misinformed Dell representative I spoke with this week.

14. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Try mock ordering another that you know has the upgrade available
    If the is an option you can check for upgrade then you know if you dont see that option on the model of your interest,you will have trouble down the road.
    Ask them if the upgrade option is verifiable by a piece of paper after receiving the unit

15. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

So .. Did you believed Dell when they said XP was not a good idea ???
    Does the model you're looking at have an option to come with XP ??
    What XP support do you think will be dropped ...
    They still make netbooks with XP .. and M$ will still provide updates .. What more do you want ??

I have a hunch that the W7 upgrade "coupon" will not cover Shipping n Handling.
    For $49 .. Best Buys will sell a W7 upgrade for XP or Vista ... S&H included.

I just spent over an hour on the phone with Dell .. Was transferred about 10 times.
    The end result was .. Since I bought my 24 inch Dell monitor at BBuys ...
    BBuys was responsible for the Warranty.

That's the Last Dell Product I'll buy.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!