which piece of hardware is screwing up?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cmbl

ok, heres whats hapening to my frustratingly annoying computer:

it restarts. it doesnt seem to mind what activity im engaged in when it does it. but what happens is it just instantly restarts without any warning. (like, screen goes black, windows starts up again) some more common things im doing when it screws up are: desert combat, C&C generals and 3d modelling. but it is by no means limited to them.

untill a very resently, when windows eventually got to the desktop after it happening, i would get this message saying " windows has recovered from a serious error, lets send some meaningless data somewhere where it will probably be forgotten" (obviously, it didnt say that exactly) and when i press that button, internet explorer takes me to a windows site that says my error happened because of a device driver. ive since gone to the ATI site and downloaded the latest drivers for my radeon 9600, with no effect.

stuff happening that led up to this: about 2 or 3 months ago i got a virus or something that kept looping the boot sequence, so i took it in to the people that sold it, and they fixed it by re-installing windows but keeping the data on it. after that, it started screwing up. it did the random restart thing very rarely, but it got more often as the weeks went by. so i reformatted completely and re-installed. same **** kept happening. i reformatted again yesterday, and its restarted twice in the last hour. these days it happens at least 3 times a day.

some other stuff that may help you: in my games, specificly DC and C&C generals, my computer lags alot more than it used to, more than back when my comp was newer, and had ALOT more crap on the harddrive.

Athlon XP 2800
512mb ddr400 ram
MSI K7N2 Delta with nvidia nforce 2 chipset
Radeon 9600 XT 128mb
80gb samsung (i think its samsung)

In control panel under SYSTEM, select Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery see if "automatically restart" is checked. If it is uncheck it and you may get a chance to catch the actual error?

If it still simply crashes with no msg or blue screen, then I have to go with Norton850's prognosis.

could be a power problem and not heat.

does the hard drive make a click niose like it lost power for a second?

cmbl said:
ok, heres whats hapening to my frustratingly annoying computer:

it restarts. it doesnt seem to mind what activity im engaged in when it does it. but what happens is it just instantly restarts without any warning. (like, screen goes black, windows starts up again) some more common things im doing when it screws up are: desert combat, C&C generals and 3d modelling. but it is by no means limited to them.

untill a very resently, when windows eventually got to the desktop after it happening, i would get this message saying " windows has recovered from a serious error, lets send some meaningless data somewhere where it will probably be forgotten" (obviously, it didnt say that exactly) and when i press that button, internet explorer takes me to a windows site that says my error happened because of a device driver. ive since gone to the ATI site and downloaded the latest drivers for my radeon 9600, with no effect.

stuff happening that led up to this: about 2 or 3 months ago i got a virus or something that kept looping the boot sequence, so i took it in to the people that sold it, and they fixed it by re-installing windows but keeping the data on it. after that, it started screwing up. it did the random restart thing very rarely, but it got more often as the weeks went by. so i reformatted completely and re-installed. same **** kept happening. i reformatted again yesterday, and its restarted twice in the last hour. these days it happens at least 3 times a day.

some other stuff that may help you: in my games, specificly DC and C&C generals, my computer lags alot more than it used to, more than back when my comp was newer, and had ALOT more crap on the harddrive.

Athlon XP 2800
512mb ddr400 ram
MSI K7N2 Delta with nvidia nforce 2 chipset
Radeon 9600 XT 128mb
80gb samsung (i think its samsung)
Hi cmbl,

Power off, and open up your case and inspect the motherboard. If any of the capacitors (cylinders perpendicular to mobo surface) are blown, they will be standing up in the middle - i.e. they should have a flat surface to be fully operational.

It takes a lot of energy to power up a motherboard's components and consequently the computer. Blown caps are a common reason for random reboots and the time it takes for a marginal cap about to fail may account for the bios looping you encountered. Count yourself lucky if the caps are not at fault, but if they are, then you may need another motherboard unless you can find a service at a reasonable price to replace them.

-- Tom

cmbl

acctually, as inuyasha320 asked, it does make a sort of click and waits a second, and starts up again. ive unchecked "automatically restart" and will open up the case after i reply tto this, but i suspect i wont find anything as i remember opening up the case resently to see if dust had clogged something.

thanx for the help, ill keep you updated :)

cmbl

i did, i turned that option off, but unfortunately i do not know how to trigger it and so ill have to wait until it does it again itself. i might play some games today and try to trigger it, while monitoring the temps.

cmbl

i managed to trigger it! horrah!

well, as luck had it, just as i was downloading registry mechanic 4, it restarted! yes! In the blue screen that appeared, it said that if there was a driver listed below, then basicly go fiddle with that driver. and this was listed:

ati3duag.dll - adress BFB2A2FD base at BFA77000, datestamp 42c2obd6

that clearly points towards my video driver, which just so happens to be the very latest driver available on ati.com.

what i need now is an older driver for my radeon 9600 XT, if anyone can point me in the right direction, i would be very grateful.

Go to the ATI Website, they should offer drivers previous to current, or try doing a "Rollback" via Device Mgr.

cmbl

ok. i uninstalled the drivers, put in a 6600GT card and installed those drivers, and while i was playing a game it did the restart thing and it came up with this error:

what do you guys make of it?

That error usually indicates general instability in your computer from one of the usual sources. Something with your hardware is not behaving - either the power supply is going south or not big enough, the memory's gone bad, something is overheating, or the motherboard's going bad. It's not a software/driver issue. Have you tried doing a memory test? What is your processor's temperature under full load?

http://www.memtest86.com/

cmbl

i still have a different gfx card in my comp and i was playing generals and i got this error. im beginning to think that my ram is gone/faulty.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online