Which port to use for Comm 2

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dodger

Trying to use a programmer, it has a serial plug because comm 1 is used to program but com 2 is used to de-program. I have a 2year old sony with a serial, printer, game and monitor ports which one would I connect to for com 2? Thanks

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi Dodger, neither one.

Your current serial port is com 1.

You don't have an additional serial port, so you don't have com 2.

You'll need to buy an add-in card.

Dodger

I am now a little more confused. When I look at the settings in my control panel Comm 2 is listed and with the correct address 2f8, couldn't I use a Belkin type adapter to one of these ports to access com 2?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Well, now I am confused....when you take a look at the back of your computer, are you SURE there is only one serial port? Sometimes the second one, which is the same size will have a female connector.......

Dodger

The only port that isn't USB or i-link on the back that is open is the game port it is a 15 female. Any ideas?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Well, then I truly don't think you have a second com port....

What com port is your modem going out on? If it's not com 2, then I would delete it in the device manager, restart windows to see if it finds it again.....If it finds it again, then you've got another device plugged into the com 2 and just don't know it.....

And another thing, we're not looking for "open" ports at this point, we're looking for whatever you may have plugged into anything in the back of the computer......

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.