1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

which processor is better?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by renegade981, Dec 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. renegade981

renegade981 Thread Starter

im ordering a new computer for gaming and i dont know which processor is better, a dual core process with a lower speed(3.2) or a pentuim 4 with a higher speed(3.8)...here are the 2..... Pentium® D Processor 840 with Dual Core Technology (3.20GHz, 800FSB)...or....Pentium® 4 Processor 670 with HT Technology (3.80GHz, 800 FSB)

2. GripS

GripS

Computer for gaming. Buy AMD. Even if it's not for gaming if your going dual core you'll want to go AMD.

3. renegade981

what does AMD stand for? and which one is better for gaming, the dual core or the single?

4. SirKenin

SirKenin Banned

Don't worry about it.. Another "Buy AMD in an Intel thread" post.

There are no games that will take advantage of the dual core processor yet, so you might as well go with the faster single core processor.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    AMD stands for Advanced Micro Devices. It is the name of the company that is Intels competitor.

6. GripS

GripS

AMD is the alternative to Intel. It uses lower clock speeds to begin with as it does more work per clock cycle then an Intel. So you'll see a processor like an AMD 3000+(running at 2.0ghz) performing about the same as an Intel P4 at 3.0ghz. Intel USED to constantly beat AMD in certain benchmarks(programs that guage performance) and AMD usually took the gaming oriented benches. Each one had their strength's and weaknesses. But now AMD has made huge gains on Intel when it came out with the AMD64 line. Now the tables have turned and Intel is trying to catch up. It's even been stated that the Intel dual core line was "rushed" to try and keep up with AMD's already successfully tested and released dual cores. Now that Intel has dual cores out the tests have been performed and AMD is still the way to go. It uses less expensive DDR(not DDR2....yet) RAM. Not to say Intel won't catch up with AMD soon enough but AMD is the shizzy right now.

By the way. I'm not trying to start another AMD vs. Intel. Just educating someone who doesn't know that there might be something more suited to his needs at a better price out there. I also have an Intel based machine.

7. loony_taz00

loony_taz00

It will always Vary tohugh one year intel then one year AMD then it will switch again,

8. Jsortland

Jsortland

is dual better than 1... hmm think about that .. anyway AMD will always be better and cheaper for the gammer Intel is like microsoft they got into the game earlier :)

9. Rukee

Rukee Banned

Yes there are, and more and more coming all the time. Check NVidia`s site, video card drivers are taking advantage of dual cores in some games now and more to come. Beside, if you leave the task manager open to the performance tab and run a game, then shut down the game quick after playing it, many games use both core even though their not suppost to.
    Yes, dual core is better then one, if your building a gamer system and have the funds, you want an AMD dual core.

10. renegade981

alright, srry if im being stupid but i cant seem to fiure out which one is better, everyone keep telling me to go wiht an AMD processor, but im ordering from dell.com(inless u can provide a better place to order from) and my 2 options are...Pentium® D Processor 840 with Dual Core Technology (3.20GHz, 800FSB)...or...Pentium® 4 Processor 670 with HT Technology (3.80GHz, 800 FSB)...out of those 2 which would be batter for a gaming computer? im jsut confused cuz the dual core has a lower speed and im not quite clear on what it does

11. Rukee

Rukee Banned

12. SirKenin

SirKenin Banned

If you're going with Dell get the higher clock single core I would think.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Dual Core isn't that useful for gaming, most games do not take advantage of dual core processors. Quake 4 is one of the few that does benefit from Hyperthreading, dual cores, or dual processors. Even AMD believes this as they contiune to market their Athlon FX processors to extreme gamers and they are only single core. As a side note AMD processors are the processor of choice for gamers.

You must be very careful when buying from Dell, most Dell systems are not designed for gaming. Choose your configuration very carefully and be aware that you may be limited in future upgradeability due to the somewaht properitary nature of Dell systems.

14. Rukee

Rukee Banned

15. valis

valis Moderator

how stuck with dell are you? I mean, have you simply decided to go with them because htey have the best package that you want, or do you have other options to consider? There's a link around here somewhere debating the new amd vs the p4, and the general consensus was that hte amd blew it out of the water......

But if you are tied to dell, then you are tied to dell. I'll see if I can find that link.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/427571

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice