Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Which processor would be best for ME

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  dannyboy42 
#1 ·
Hi,
Im hoping one of the pros on the site can advise me. (as they have in the past)

I have recently installed a new antivirus & other programmes which now seem too much of a drain on my CPU, I notice that it is regularly upto 100 percent & PC is sluggish.

I think its time I invested in a new cpu & am hoping I do not have to pay for a new motherboard?
So I hope someone can tell me the best Intel CPU that would be suitable for my system. I only have about £125-£150 to spare!

I currently have the following set up, I hope I have included all relevant info, Oh I forgot to mention, current hard drives get quite hot, so I presume I am right in saying the extra heat generated will mean I have to do SOMETHING? with a bigger fan!

Many Thanks in advance

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)

ECS P4M800PRO-M 1.0
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Hyper-threaded (2 total)
Board: ECS P4M800PRO-M 1.0
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 080012 08/14/2006
Drives Memory Modules c,d
2485.17 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
676.49 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

AOPEN DUW1608/ARR [CD-ROM drive]
MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000 [CD-ROM drive]
SONY DVD RW DW-G120A [CD-ROM drive]

HDT722525DLAT80 [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 1, s/n VD241BT4DKBBNC, rev V44OA96A, SMART Status: Healthy
SAMSUNG SP1644N [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n S0E9J1DL905391, rev BV100-45, SMART Status: Healthy
Samsung STORY Station USB Device [Hard drive] (1500.30 GB) -- drive 3
ST375084 0AS USB Device [Hard drive] (750.15 GB) -- drive 2 2016 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' has 1024 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 137.43 GB 47.87 GB free
d: (FAT32 on drive 1) 97.47 GB 22.23 GB free
i: (FAT32 on drive 2) 749.97 GB 29.68 GB free
j: (NTFS on drive 3) 1500.30 GB 576.72 GB free

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi, I am hoping to avoid having to replace the mother board. I am relatively happy that the PC is clear of malware, & the programmes which seem to be quite cpu hungry are version 2011 of pc tools, + web browser google chrome & also various video editing software.
Thanks

#5 ·
The only thing you could install in that board is a pentiumD which is at least 3 generation old technology. IMO not worth the cost. Really if you want a faster cpu, the only option is to replace the board, memory, and pw supply; then go with a modern quad core or 6core cpu.

Since you are running xp, your current cpu is well up to the task. I would really really post a hijack log and have a security person take a look at it for you.

#6 ·
Hi, The reason I thought that I had a normal problem, i.e not malware etc, is because I trust pc tools internet security & do regular full scans, & secondly I normally have an application running in task bar showing stuff like temps, memory usage & cpu usage etc. The CPU usage just creeps up to very high levels when I am using to many programmes & as mentioned, stuff like AV software seems to be very heavy on the CPU.
I was hoping for the chance to upgrade the CPU only, as the PC is only about 3 years old. But I guess thats old in the pc world?
Oh, well it was worth a post & many thanks for taking the time to give me your views.
All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.