1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which processor would be best for ME

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dannyboy42, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dannyboy42

dannyboy42 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Im hoping one of the pros on the site can advise me. (as they have in the past)

I have recently installed a new antivirus & other programmes which now seem too much of a drain on my CPU, I notice that it is regularly upto 100 percent & PC is sluggish.

I think its time I invested in a new cpu & am hoping I do not have to pay for a new motherboard?
    So I hope someone can tell me the best Intel CPU that would be suitable for my system. I only have about £125-£150 to spare!

I currently have the following set up, I hope I have included all relevant info, Oh I forgot to mention, current hard drives get quite hot, so I presume I am right in saying the extra heat generated will mean I have to do SOMETHING? with a bigger fan!

Many Thanks in advance

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United States)

ECS P4M800PRO-M 1.0
    Enclosure Type: Desktop
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    16 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Hyper-threaded (2 total)
    Board: ECS P4M800PRO-M 1.0
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 080012 08/14/2006
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    2485.17 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    676.49 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

AOPEN DUW1608/ARR [CD-ROM drive]
    MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000 [CD-ROM drive]
    SONY DVD RW DW-G120A [CD-ROM drive]

HDT722525DLAT80 [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 1, s/n VD241BT4DKBBNC, rev V44OA96A, SMART Status: Healthy
    SAMSUNG SP1644N [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n S0E9J1DL905391, rev BV100-45, SMART Status: Healthy
    Samsung STORY Station USB Device [Hard drive] (1500.30 GB) -- drive 3
    ST375084 0AS USB Device [Hard drive] (750.15 GB) -- drive 2 2016 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'DIMM1' has 1024 MB
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 137.43 GB 47.87 GB free
    d: (FAT32 on drive 1) 97.47 GB 22.23 GB free
    i: (FAT32 on drive 2) 749.97 GB 29.68 GB free
    j: (NTFS on drive 3) 1500.30 GB 576.72 GB free

2. TekTime

TekTime

Your software is using nearly 100% CPU cycles? It's possible that there is some type of malware on your system.

When you say "anti-virus and other programs", which programs exactly - are you referring to ?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would have to agree. You might want to post a hijack log for review.

In regard to the cpu, are you intending to replace the mb as well?

4. dannyboy42

Hi, I am hoping to avoid having to replace the mother board. I am relatively happy that the PC is clear of malware, & the programmes which seem to be quite cpu hungry are version 2011 of pc tools, + web browser google chrome & also various video editing software.
    Thanks

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The only thing you could install in that board is a pentiumD which is at least 3 generation old technology. IMO not worth the cost. Really if you want a faster cpu, the only option is to replace the board, memory, and pw supply; then go with a modern quad core or 6core cpu.

Since you are running xp, your current cpu is well up to the task. I would really really post a hijack log and have a security person take a look at it for you.

6. dannyboy42

Hi, The reason I thought that I had a normal problem, i.e not malware etc, is because I trust pc tools internet security & do regular full scans, & secondly I normally have an application running in task bar showing stuff like temps, memory usage & cpu usage etc. The CPU usage just creeps up to very high levels when I am using to many programmes & as mentioned, stuff like AV software seems to be very heavy on the CPU.
    I was hoping for the chance to upgrade the CPU only, as the PC is only about 3 years old. But I guess thats old in the pc world?
    Oh, well it was worth a post & many thanks for taking the time to give me your views.
    All the best

7. schang626

schang626

8. dannyboy42

Cheers schang626,
    In that case I will take it to the shop & hopefully will be able to afford to get them to fit a quad core. Will let you know if you are right.
    Many thanks

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have ver 1 of that board, it does not support C2D, quad or anything other than what I posted. V2 does support the c2d.

10. dannyboy42

Thanks for clarification crjdriver, Not what I wanted to hear, but such is life.
    All the best
    Dan

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/951627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice