1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which Processor????????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Will_W, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Will_W

Will_W Thread Starter

I am building a new PC for gaming.

Which processor is best for playing games? or doesn't it really matter. I have a budget of £150

I have heard rumours that AMD chips are better for gaming. Is this true?

Also which type of memory is best??

I know that there are different types but I don't know what the difference is between them.

PLEASE HELP ME!

2. brianF

brianF

3. deuce

deuce

You are quite right. AMD is the gamers choice and is just better for gaming anyway... and also are easy to overclock but they are less stable and run very hot. As for the ram... the only chipsets for AMD use either SDRam or DDR SDRam... I would suggest DDR, but if you are on a budget regular SDRam works just fine.

...but then again that is just my opinion.

4. Will_W

Will_W Thread Starter

I am swaying towards getting an AMD chip - you said that SD Ram works just fine with AMD chips. Is this the same with the Athlon XP? (this is probably a stupid question but I want to be sure)

Thanks

5. deuce

deuce

Yes... there are chipsets that use both SDRam and DDR SDRam for the XP. DDR isn't all that much more than SDRam so I would recomend that you get DDR... especially if you get an XP you might want it... but as I said SDRam works just fine. It's up to you... just if you get DDR prices range quite a bit, and some are more overpriced than others. For DDR, you should be paying between $30 and $40 per 128 mb... NO MORE!! The DDR I have bought has been around $31 before tax. I know Best Buy gets theirs from PNY and Crucial and they pay $45 per 128mb which is stupid to start... and then they sell it retail for $68. The lowest I have gotten best buy to sell it to me is $45 because that is what they pay for it so they don't go cheaper when you do a price check thingy comparing prices from other stores around. I am sure other big retailrs are similar in price. Online is the cheapest, but you usually have about $5 shipping too. Just wanted to warn you incase you go with DDR that you don't pay more than you need to.

Hope that helps. :cool:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice