Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Which processor?

849 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Compiler 
#1 ·
I am building a computer for a relative whom will be using it mainly for internet, photos, and child games. At this point I am wondering if I should go with an Intel Core 2 Quad or a Intel I5 Dual Core.

Here are the links to what I'm looking at.

Core 2 Quad

I5 Dual

Would I get better bang for my buck going with an older processor, or is that a mistake? I don't want the computer to feel out of date the day I build it either. Any help is appreciated. Remember that this will not be used for anything that requires a lot of computing power, but they want a quick computer regardless.

Thanks,

#2 ·
Both would probably be a bit of overkill for just internet photos, and children's games. The exception may be if you were putting Windows 7 on it. In that case it'd be closer to just right. Honestly though, on my laptop i have a 2.4 ghz core 2 duo, and it runs really well. Not as well as it did when I first got it, but It's my school laptop, so it gets stuff installed and uninstalled constantly. I wouldn't get a quad core regardless for that though, because the system simply won't make as much use of it as it could be. You probably do want to use an i5 though, because it's a newer socket, so it'll be upgradeable and somewhat modern. Just a 3.2 i5 dual is probably a bit much.

#4 ·
Thanks for the input. I am putting Windows 7 on it, but I am now looking at an AMD processor.

AMD Phenom II

Would this be a closer fit for my needs? Or still overkill?

Or maybe you could suggest a product that is closer to my range? I am used to building high-end gaming machines, so its kinda hard to figure out were I need to be.

#5 ·
You can use older technology and not have to worry about it
being outdated for the applications you want to run,for some
time to come.
You keep looking at quad core processors,so here is an AM2+ quad.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103286
This is an OEM processor,so you need to get a compatable heatsink
to go with it.
Doesn't have to be an expensive cooler.
Save yourself some money and check that out and pair it with an AM2+
motherboard that can handle a 125 watt processor.

#6 ·
That 3.4 ghz amd quad core is my processor for gaming. It's massive overkill. Heck it's hardly ever maxed out playing games let alone regular computing. I don't know if I'd get an OEM processor since you'd have to find a heatsink. It's not terribly hard to find a good heatsink, but a processor that comes with a heatsink are designed to work together. That's not to say that they'll give you the best temps of any heatsink you could pair with it, but you shouldn't be shopping for heatsinks unless you're going to overclock. Which for an average computer, you're not going to.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103847

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103887

Both of these are probably still a little bit of overkill, but you said you wanted them to still have a relatively quick computer. Also you'll be leaving room to upgrade it in the future, should it need it. Though, with that processor and the computer just being used for low end computing, it's not going to need one for a while. I really think you don't need a quad core though, it's just overkill for anything that isn't high demand computing, like gaming or video editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.