Which PSU?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
G'day Glaze, maybe an atomic power station might work!
Elitech-5100M Black 5.1 3000w Pmpo sounds like a bit heavy for an ordinary computer, surely?
What does the manufacturer of the Elitech thing reccomend?
Cheers, qldit.

G'day again, I see the audio thing is powered separately, and the power supply is already 450 watts, that should work OK.
Just make sure that the ATX motherboard power connector suits that motherboard.
I wouldn't like to be living next door to you, did you know that 2 watts RMS of audio will deafen a normal person in an normal room? (Midrange with good reflex enclosures)
Cheers, qldit.

glaze

Lol, thanks for that I guess I was just looking for cheap 5.1 speakers I suppose it could be a bit too much, I'll try to find a little quiter speakers - thanks!

G'day Gentlemen, with regard to sound and fidelity it is a bit like a dog chasing a car and catching it, once you get committed to hight power stuff you can't really go back.
The problem with the high power speakers is that they are normally very stiff, and need a lot to drive them which results in a hard thump rather than a softer resonating bass kind of sound that you get with lower power speakers and equipment..
Your ears and brain tend to alter the sound to recognisable kinds of things which can cause severe headaches in older people. The old ideas of better enclosures and softer speakers seems to have disappeared, sadly.
I refuse to ride in my son's car because of this twelve inch 300 watt speaker he has in the back, the engine has to be idled up to run the sound system!!!
Cheers, qldit.

Just make sure it's not a cheap power supply. Although with that setup you're not close to 450 watts, a bad power supply can ruin your system. Try to find out what psu the case comes with and look it up.

G'day Jackie and everyone, yes it seems his intended case is already 450w, not a bad looking case either. I did not see any brand, I imagine it would be the "ying-tong-yickle-I-poh type.
By the way Jackie I still think your motif is very clever, the idea, the colours and the action.
Cheers, qldit.

For both performance and upgradability and the fact that the latest Sand Diego/Venice cores overclock like crazy. Yes it is worth spending the extra money IMO.

TypeSK. Looks like you got the latest of everything! Nice setup.

GripS said:
For both performance and upgradability and the fact that the latest Sand Diego/Venice cores overclock like crazy. Yes it is worth spending the extra money IMO.

TypeSK. Looks like you got the latest of everything! Nice setup.
thanks. coming from a P4 1.7Ghz Dell ... needed the upgrade.

Also, in terms of upgradeability, you should get at least a ATX2 standard, and depending on your computing needs, maybe even one to support SLI/Crossfire in the future, and at least 480, as some mobo's (I Know DFI has now) will start requiring 480W with a native 24-pin connector at minimum. so for future, go for a better PSU.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

that WHOLE thread will explain a little bit from DFI's PoV. but even so, for future, might as well. has a list of recommended PSU's also.

and it would be nice to have a 64-bit chip. Think it's very worth it. And it's not much more to upgrade.

This is what I think on 64
Almost no games or programs out there use it yet.
Windows 64 edition is buggy.
The price of them will go down.

I say wait till more games and programs are out for it then get it when it's cheaper. But then of course you must look at the new mobo for your new socket 939 chip, as it would be cheaper to buy 1 mobo instead of 2. But then you could use the old setup in another computer. It evens out i guess.

oh and I second what typesk said about the psu.
qldit:
Thanks for the compliment, it took me about 10 minutes to make :D

if your going to upgrade, I would def recommend the socket 939 mobo ... if you dont want the 64 chip, but want to wait, at least with the sock939 mobo, there is no buying a whole new mobo ...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online