1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which RAM for Dell Optiplex 990 SSF?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JamieAir, Nov 4, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. JamieAir

JamieAir Thread Starter

Hey

I need some advice. I want to upgrade my RAM in my pc but I'm not sure what to buy. I've asked on other forums but they never give me a definitive answer and I do not want to buy the wrong thing as it's a lot of money to be wrong.

I'm looking to upgrade to 16GB so I'm after an additional x2 4GB (8GB) RAM.

Can anyone suggest any? And is there any cheaper brands/alternates on eBay for example?

Thank you!

2. 2twenty2

2twenty2

3. JamieAir

JamieAir Thread Starter

4. 2twenty2

2twenty2

5. JamieAir

JamieAir Thread Starter

6. 2twenty2

2twenty2

Not at the moment.

I'll let someone else more knowledgable here at TSG to take over.

7. JamieAir

JamieAir Thread Starter

Thank you for your help

I just need to know if that one on Amazon will be the same and if there are any alternates someone could suggest.

Thanks in advance :)

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    JamieAir:

What's the exact 7-character "service tag" number on your Dell OptiPlex 990 Small Form Factor?
    Unless you bought it refurbished or reconditioned, that should tell us what hardware it came with.

Depending on what processor(CPU) and graphics device(GPU) it has, it may not be feasible to add another 8 GB of RAM and run it with 16 GB.
    8 GB of RAM is usually sufficient, unless you're conducting memory-hungry functions.

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. JamieAir

JamieAir Thread Starter

Hi, thank you for the reply
    The service tag is 4BZCD5J

:)

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/optiplex-990-small-form-factor/CT7351417

8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory is what you need. You need to have no more than 4GB in each of the slots (4 total)

EDIT: I used to work for these guys and the pricing was good at the time (they didn't do much markup). Though after 15 years I would have thought their website would be better than it is now (hasn't changed it looks like).

Anyways you are better off calling them ... the site is not user friendly lol

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  11. JamieAir

JamieAir Thread Starter

Thank you! I see what you mean about the site :p

So I'm assuming either of these two would be fine?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/4GB-PC3-12800-PC-12800-MEMORY-Module/dp/B013LD3LX0?th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT2K51264BD160B-PC3L-12800-240-Pin-Memory/dp/B005NU49DG

12. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to that service tag number, you have THIS Dell OptiPlex 990 Small Form Factor Desktop PC which was purchased in July 2012 in the U.K..

According to its system configuration section, it came with an Intel Core i5-2400 3.10 GHz quad core processor and 4 GB(4 GB X 1) of DDR3-1333 MHz RAM.

According to its specifications section, it does support 16 GB(4 GB X 4) of DDR3-1333 MHz RAM.

The 4 GB modules that you selected are DDR3-1600 MHz speed, but according to their other specs, they "should" work okay.

They will just run at a slower DDR3-1333 MHz speed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Those should work as Frank mentioned. Personally I would buy all 4 4GBs so they match, if you can do it.

14. JamieAir

JamieAir Thread Starter

Ahh, how come they run slower? Would you advise a different brand? Sorry I'm aiming to buy on Amazon UK or a UK retailer

15. JamieAir

JamieAir Thread Starter

Do you mean all of those or x4 of Crucial for example?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice