1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which router can I use for wired and wireless?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NJMom130, Nov 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

I have a Linksys Router BEFSR41 in which I have two computers hooked up to. I want to add a third computer but want to make it wireless. Is there a router that I can purchase that will be accomadate my two "wired" computers and my one "wireless" computer?

Thanks

Nancy

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Most of the home based routers that are wireless also have 4 wired ports attached to them as well. I dont think I have seen to many that dont have wired ports on them.

3. CagedFury

CagedFury

You could go with the big brother to the BEFSR41... what would be either the BEFW11S4 (802.11b) or the WRT54G (802.11g). Either of those would work.

There are also solutions from D-Link, SMC, etc.

What you want to accomplish is easy...finding the right deal ($$$) is a bit tougher. My recommendation would be to keep your eyes open during the holiday sales. I'm sure a good deal will pop up.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have purchased a number of wireless routers, and I haven't spent more than $20 on any of them. Keep looking for the deals. :D

5. smooth26

smooth26

you could use a befw11s4 or a wrt54g linksys router..or if you want to keep your befsr41 router,you could go by with a linksys wireless access point [wap11 or wap54g]..but if you do have 2 routers,it will also work with each other [by cascading the 2 devices]..with 1 being the main router & the other 1 who will act as a hub or a switch.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

7. JohnWill

I have the DI-614+, it's worked well here. :)

8. Rockn

Rockn

Depending on how many wireless devices you want to use you could just get a Wireless Access Point and add it to your existing setup.

9. JohnWill

Rockn, I don't know of any WAPs that are cheaper than wireless broadband routers, so the router is actually the most cost effective route. I've looked for cheap WAPs, and I never see them for less than $50-60, while I can have a wireless router for half that with rebate.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/180718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice