1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

which runs video DirectX or nvidia

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jdemnyan1116, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116 Thread Starter

I have a 31 minute download for nvidia driver. Which one runs the computer. Direct X or the Nvidia. When you type Dxdiag.exe and it shows all the things for Direct X. Video and all. Is nvidia just on there for show? Could not really understand why both of them are on there? If not really needed, don't want to spend a half an hour downloading something I don't need.
    Thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The short answer is BOTH. Without the Nvidia driver DirectX is useless and vice versa. If you wait around someone will pop-in and give you more details. While you could live without Directx, the video driver is much more important and is absolutely needed.

3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

You have to have a driver for your NVIDIa card, XP's native driver will work (but no openGL). If you don't do any OpenGL gaming the native driver will do, as will the already installed version of DirectX. That said, if you want to play modern games you will have to update both for good performance.

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

Nvidia driver is used to allow Windows and games talk to the hardware. It gives you tools to control the card and tells the computer what it can do. - It is required.

Direct X: Is a 3D gaming driver, it comes with Windows (version 8 with WindowsXP) - Its the part that interfacing the GAMES with the software on the video card. So hence, a card that is SPECed to work with DirectX should work on various brands of videos cards with simular results.

In the OLD days, games were made to talk to specific video cards, ala 3DFX with GLIDE. Glide games only worked with 3Dfx... But with 5 other companies trying to get into the business, it was hard. DirectX allowed them to compete... and 3Dfx even had DirectX compatible cards. (Voodo Banshee and above).

5. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

So did OpenGL, which many feel was superior (and still is to many) to DirectX, which was basically another example of MS steamrolling the superior competition. Most gamers when given a choice will choose OpenGL.

6. zeddy

zeddy

MysticEyes,

you make me remember my SLI voodoo combo, I feel so nostalgic now and a little warm inside, bless you.

7. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. Just was wondering about it. Have DirectX 9.a. Guess I will download the nvidia.f
    Again. thanks to all for the info.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice