1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which sound card is better?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thecool1, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Thecool1

Thecool1 Thread Starter

I'm looking into buying a sound card for my computer. So far I have narrowed the cards to these two.

CHAINTECH AV-710 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

Creative Sound Blaster SB0610VP 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Audigy 4 SE Sound Card - OEM

I've never installed a sound card before, so I'm a bit uncomfortable buying an OEM card. There is a cord that goes from the card to my CD/DVD Drive, right? If I buy the OEM card, then will I have to also order the cord?

I'm also open for suggestions.

2. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

If you are running XP no 'cord' is needed. Are you a gamer? Music buff?

3. sickcars

sickcars

i would go for the soundblaster because of the support you may need in the future. When you need drivers or software its all on the SoundBlaster website.

Ciao

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Soundblaster all the way!

5. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Support from Creative? That's funny.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'd take the Creative Audigy card over the VIA based card.

7. Thecool1

Thecool1 Thread Starter

Yea, I only play games on my computer.

So do I need to order anything extra. I believe I have Windows XP pro 32. I can't recall for sure though.

8. Thecool1

Thecool1 Thread Starter

Bump

I really would like to order this tomorrow, but before I do, I need to know if there is anything else I need for the Sound Card to work correctly. I guess I don't need the cord/cable, but is there anything I do need?

Any how do I install the drivers? Should I burn the latest drivers to a disk, or is it safe to just get them from the site?

I'm planning on just putting the Sound Card in, turning off the integrated card on boot, then downloading drivers. Will (and how) do I unistall my current sound drivers?

9. nexolus

nexolus

If you're installing your own card and don't know simple stuff like this, you should probably have someone physically help you install it. It isn't an extremely difficult process so I begin to wonder.

To uninstall your old drivers open your device manager, find your card, and uninstall. then turn it off and install your card and turn the computer back on. If the card isn't installed then go to the creative site and download the latest drivers and install then reboot. That should be all that's required. And some speakers.

10. Compiler

Compiler

LOL... MysticEyes... I KNOW what ya mean about SUPPORT and Creative Labs... Never could get them to RMA this Audigy2 card I had... (after using 3 past CL cards) - I've been onboard-audio since.

But they are pretty much the ONLY soundcard company left.

Compared to many current MODERN systems, the Audigy offers little over built-in audio.

Unless you need more audio-channels or your onboard is junk - then get a card... I'd recommend the XiFi card, they start at $70.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Thats not true, Creative cards offer much better gaming performance and support newer levels of EAX as well as better OpenAL support. And the sound quality is usually better too. EAX support on Realtek and VIA Codecs is terrible.

12. Thecool1

Thecool1 Thread Starter

I'm just trying to figure out the best order of things so I don't run into any problems.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice